DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3900 and High Availability Setup

More
25 Mar 2016 17:23 #1 by g6ifs
3900 and High Availability Setup was created by g6ifs
Hi all,
Hope someone can help please.
I have two 3900 being used as High Availability - Hot Standby setup. I have setup the Master one and it is working fine. Using one WAN and one LAN.
I then plugged the Slave in and it programmed it's self to the Master as it should. But I have noticed that in the NAT-Port Redirect setup on the slave that all the profiles are disabled, is this right?
I then caused Master to fail (pulled LAN lead) and the Slave appeared to take over, WAN showed as up on the slave but no data was passed inbound while outbound was ok.
I then put the LAN back into Master and it came back up and HA status showed it was back as Master, however no data flow at all, nether inbound our outbound but WAN was showing as up.
Pulled the LAN lead to the slave and the Master immediately started working.
The firmware version is the latest 1.2.0 and the patch also in both units.
Is anyone else using the 3900 in HA mode successfully and proved the changeover works.
To me it looks like two problems,
1 - all the port re-direct profiles being off on the slave when it is showing as synced?
2 - Looks like the virtual IP is still active on the Slave after the Master takes it back, therefore causing both units to use the same virtual IP instead of the Slave releasing it.

This is the first time I have used the HA function so it could always be something in the HA setup but since it auto-configured the Slave correctly and the HA status correctly indicated the status's I thought I had it right.
I'm beginning to suspect a bug or two in the HA section so would be interested to know if it's me or is this issue known?
Hope I've included all relevant information

Neil..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2016 11:48 #2 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: 3900 and High Availability Setup
Is anyone actually using High Availability - Hot Standby mode in the UK?

More
07 Apr 2016 13:04 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 3900 and High Availability Setup
I'd imagine they are, but not 'most' users so if you don't get an answer here, ask support.

Forum Administrator

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2016 13:56 #4 by macavity
Replied by macavity on topic Re: 3900 and High Availability Setup
Active Standby doesn't do config synch but Hot Standby definitely does.

Take a backup first, but I'd try factory resetting the slave and reconfiguring the HA setup on it. Then check to see if the config gets synch'ed correct. If that doesn't work then I guess support would be the best option as I expect they'd want to try with your cfg.

More
08 Apr 2016 14:29 #5 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: 3900 and High Availability Setup
Support are now looking into the issue.
I will update when I've got a answer one way or the other.

Both units were brand new and the Backup was allowed to sync to the Master.
Think the main issue is that every entry in the Port-redirect table is being flagged as inactive instead of active and doesn't change when it becomes Master.
Following the Backup rebooting is does show all port redirects as active and then a few minutes later they are all inactive. It is almost as though the unit is syncing and setting the active bit wrong?
Will have to leave it to support. They have remote access to the units to investigate.

• blindhog
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jun 2016 17:24 #6 by blindhog
Replied by blindhog on topic Re: 3900 and High Availability Setup

g6ifs wrote: Hi all,
But I have noticed that in the NAT-Port Redirect setup on the slave that all the profiles are disabled, is this right?
Yes it is correct. same behaviour on my setup