Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Constant disconnects with 2860 and 3.8.4BT

• psketch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Oct 2016 10:46 #1 by psketch
I just tried to upgrade my 2860AC to the new 3.8.4BT firmware. Upgrade all went fine, but there's something very wrong. Although the line stats show the line as staying up, without disconnects, there's actually something very wrong with the connection. Skype drops the connection every minute or two, it's random if a website will load, email is connected sometimes and not others - basically, the connection is up and down all the time. Downgrading to 3.8.2.3BT has immediately fixed it, so it's defo something up with the firmware I think.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2016 11:01 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Constant disconnects with 2860 and 3.8.4BT
I tried the 3.8.4BT firmware on my 2860n+. There didn't seem to be a problem with the vdsl connection but my router would no longer connect to my failover wifi router/modem on WAN2. On the 2.4GHz band the router could "see" the wifi but resolutely refused to connect to it. On the 5GHz band (supposedly a new feature for WAN2 with this firmware) the router cannot see the wifi modem at all - indeed the scan for AP's function, which is supposed to take 10-15 seconds, lasts for about .2 seconds and returns no results. This latter behaviour also occurs with the 3.8.2.3BT firmware to which I have reverted, although that connects fine on the 2.4GHz band.

As an aside I have noticed that the Wake on LAN function hasn't worked for several firmware iterations, but I can't remember when it stopped working as I use it infrequently (well now not at all since it doesn't work).

• nicdesai
  • User
  • User
More
15 Nov 2016 08:23 #3 by nicdesai
Replied by nicdesai on topic Re: Constant disconnects with 2860 and 3.8.4BT
Definitely something wrong. I use Devolo home plugs and a secondary router in bridge mode to provide additional WiFi in the house. Speeds have degraded. Interestingly when doing a speed test directly with the draytek speeds are fine.

More
15 Nov 2016 09:50 #4 by jedi98

As an aside I have noticed that the Wake on LAN function hasn't worked for several firmware iterations

I've just tried WOL both web and telnet on v3.8.2.2_VT1 and v3.8.4_VT1 and it all seems to work for me.

More
15 Nov 2016 12:06 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Constant disconnects with 2860 and 3.8.4BT
Odd. If I try from the web interface it doesn't respond with "Send Command to Client done" as it did once upon a time. From the GUI if I send wol up to an IP address I get that response (but the target PC doesn't wake up); if I send wol up to the MAC address I receive no "Command sent" response.

• psketch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Nov 2016 12:57 #6 by psketch
With 3.8.4.1 coming out, I had another look at this this morning, and I think I found the culprit - hardware acceleration was on. With 3.8.2.3, it didn't make any difference, but with 3.8.4, it looks like it broke something badly. I don't really know why it was on - maybe I'd turned it on at some point in the past, and hadn't turned it off again since it wasn't doing any harm, but if you're having problems - seems like h/w acceleration should always be off..... It's actually referenced in the 3.8.4.1 release notes, so I guess Draytek realised that something's changed.