DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Texecom COM-IP with a 2925 router - open port question.

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2016 17:51 #1 by mtcsltd
I have an alarm system that uses a Texecom COM-IP module, which uses an Ethernet cable to my 2925 router, but I'm having problems getting the system to work.

In the LAN settings there is a Bind-IP to Mac setting for the device. When I point a browser to the local IP the Texecom presents me with a web page, so that's fine.
Then in the NAT settings, under Open Ports, I have enabled an open port for the required port (the same port that's set set in the alarm systems control panel).

When I do a port scan of my external IP address for that specific port, it doesn't respond. I've had experienced alarm system engineers check everything, and it looks ok, just doesn't work.

I have a backup Sky broadband. On the Sky router I've reserved the Texecom's local IP and set an inbound firewall rule using the same port number, and it works perfectly. I can't keep it on Sky because it involves running a very long Ethernet cable through multiple rooms just to get it to the back of the alarm system, naturally wife isn't happy about that, so I have to get it working with my 2925 router which is on a different ISP (Zen). They only block ports 135-139 on UDP and TCP, and my port is well outside that range and does not conflict with other recognised port usages.

Has anyone got a Texecom COM-IP work through their Draytek router? Is there something I'm missing? Is there something else that could be interfering on the 2925?
Thanks for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2016 03:06 #2 by admin
What type of connection does thwe Texecom accept, e.g. https:// ? If so, maybe SSL VPN or remote management on SSL (TLS) is intercepting and should be turned off. n.b. presumably you tried an actual connection, not just the port scan.

Forum Administrator

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
29 Nov 2016 01:32 #3 by mtcsltd
Thanks for your reply.

I don't know what type ofconnections the Texecom accepts. I have the manual (link here http://www.texe.com/uk/uploads/INS_273-5_Com-IP_Installation_Manual_web.pdf).

I do use VPN to remotely access my network. I turned off all VPN access protocols to see if it made a difference, but it hasn't.

I can't imagine what might be stopping this from working.

I will give Texecom a call to see if they can help. They have a UK office.

• prsalmon
  • User
  • User
More
11 Dec 2016 17:07 #4 by prsalmon
Im an alarm engineer with a Draytek 2830 Router in our office. We use Texecom all day every day.
What are you trying to acheive?

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
11 Dec 2016 20:34 #5 by mtcsltd
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have to expose the Texacom IP's port to the internet. I'm using the 'Draytek's Open Ports' settings to open the port I'm using. I confirmed with Texacom they only use the TCP protocol, not UDP.

The problem is that the Draytek Texacom's server can't reach my Texacom IP through the port I use when using the Draytek, but it does work when I do the same thing through a my Sky broadband router which I have as a backup on another line. However I can't use that Sky router permanently so I have to get it working through the Draytek.

I've turned off other facilities temporarily like VPN, but it still won't work.

When I get the chance I'm going to backup my router settings, then reset the router to factory defaults to see if that makes a difference.

Texacom said they don't provide specific help with different routers, not surprisingly.

Did you set your 2830 using a different feature, like DMZ, port triggering and port redirection. I tried them, but no luck.

More
14 Dec 2016 22:26 #6 by gungey
I think you just need Port Redirection, rather than open port. Give that a whirl :). Make sure you've assigned the COM-IP a fixed IP address first.