DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

[SOLVED] 2860Vac rebooting at random

• giacecco
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2016 06:46 #1 by giacecco
[SOLVED] 2860Vac rebooting at random was created by giacecco
I have a 2860Vac that reboots at random. I'm running 3.8.4.1_BT and I'm a BT Infinity 2 customer in the UK, I'm not using the Openreach modem. The problem has been going on for a while but I've thought they were BT glitches until yesterday, when I realised that the router was actually restarting.

What should I do? Is downgrading the firmware an option and what firmware is the latest known to be very reliable while not forcing me to reset all the router settings? I need the connection to be reliable, doing a lot of videocalls for work, and I am thinking of going back to the BT gear.

Thanks,

Giacecco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2016 08:32 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860Vac rebooting at random
Presumably you've not been running 3.8.4.1 for long? Was it stable on 3.8.2.3? My 2860n+ seems reasonably stable on that.

• giacecco
  • Topic Author
More
19 Dec 2016 15:46 #3 by giacecco
Replied by giacecco on topic Re: 2860Vac rebooting at random
Yep I guess I will have to downgrade, do you know A) where to find older versions of the firmware and B) how do I check that the downgrade is actually feasible, without corrupting the configuration or bricking the router? Thanks.

• giacecco
  • Topic Author
More
19 Dec 2016 16:02 #4 by giacecco
I found the old firmware on the ftp website at ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2860/Firmware/v3.8.2.3/ . I took some risk, installed right away and everything appears to be fine.

• giacecco
  • Topic Author
More
19 Dec 2016 16:53 #5 by giacecco
... but the reboots are still happening. Worse, the line does not come back until I physically turn the router off and on again, after the reboot. I don't know what to do. I need to be able to trust the router.

More
19 Dec 2016 18:30 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860Vac rebooting at random
I always save every version of the firmware that appears on the UK download site, just in case :wink:

I see that the recommended "BT" version is not on the FTP site. Which modem code did you use? I think they recommend the VT3 version if you don't use the BT one.

In case it's a physical problem with the router, have you contacted the vendor to see what they say?

Edit - I see there's now a 3.8.4.2 on the UK site, "critical" update they say.