Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Change DNS 2860n

• sirocco1234
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2016 09:10 #1 by sirocco1234
Change DNS 2860n was created by sirocco1234
I would like to change the dns servers used by my 2860n
On the LAN general settings page I can see the primary and secondary DNS settings to change. On the 2820 series there is an option to force DNS manual but not on 2860? Is the another setting I need to change in my 2860 to enable the force DNS manual option?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 18:04 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Change DNS 2860n
Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in LAN X :?: (half way down LAN General Setup page)

• sirocco1234
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2016 18:19 #3 by sirocco1234
Replied by sirocco1234 on topic Re: Change DNS 2860n
Thanks, so is it just a case of inputting desired DNS server IPs in the details page for say LAN1 and ensuring that the forced lan box is ticked for Lan 1 , no need to change anything in the advanced settings box ?

More
17 Dec 2016 17:33 #4 by piste basher
Yes if that's all you want to do. Why not try it and see if it does what you want? I use Google's DNS on mine.

• sirocco1234
  • Topic Author
More
17 Dec 2016 19:46 #5 by sirocco1234
Replied by sirocco1234 on topic Re: Change DNS 2860n
Thanks Piste,
I also normally use Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but the reason for change was that I want to hide my IP and browse anonymously. I have an account with Hide My IP which I use at the browser (I.E.) quite successfully. I wanted to set up the router to ensure that all devices in my household were anonymous.Their help and support suggests that changing my DNS settings to two of their servers will achieve this. However it doesn't do this and with the new DNSs in place my public IP remains the same. I'll revert to them to ask more questions. I had always assumed I'd have to tunnel from my modem to one of their servers but thought I'd try this first. Any steers or views on this subject would be welcome.

More
18 Dec 2016 10:01 #6 by piste basher
As I understand it using a different "smart" DNS server can't/won't change your public IP, it will just route traffic as if you were in a different geographical location.