3900 High Availability and VLAN routing

• ollywood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Feb 2017 15:32 #1 by ollywood
3900 High Availability and VLAN routing was created by ollywood
I have searched the boards and google and found a few setup guides which I have followed for setting up two 3900's in High Availability, hot standby configuration.

I have 10 VLANs:
1 for the HA LAN and the other 9 for the various LANs required.

I have found a number a issues with HA and the 3900 such as failing the WAN ports on the Master results in loosing most of the inter VLAN routing. This also happens if you fail the Masters physical LAN port. Recovering the WAN or LAN results in the lost routing continuing even though it has switched back onto the Master. The only way that you can get the routing back is to power cycle the Master which seems wrong for a HA setup.

with the HA LAN as below:

Master 10.10.0.2/24
Backup 10.10.0.3/24
Virtual 10.10.0.1/24

The other LANS are setup sp that both routers share the same IP such as 10.10.1.1 etc.

you can ping the Masters actual HA LAN IP unless the LAN is down or it is powered off from the pother VLANs, but you cant do the same for the Backups HA LAN IP. So you cant manage the Backup unless you plug directly into the HA LAN.

This an the loss of routing after a failover/recovery has happened is making this so called HA pretty LA.

Also Interlan routing is enabled.

Any help and guidance would be great as tried various settings and setup routines with the same result.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2017 13:47 #2 by g6ifs
Did you manage to get this sorted as I've had issues with "High Available" not working correctly as well.
It was found that the problem only occurred if IP Alias was used in the WAN section, ie for using several external IP address.
We don't use VLan at all so can't comment if they could be causing an issue.
I was using version 1.2.0 and noticed that the profiles went disabled in the port redirect section of the backup unit which I assume was why when it switched to the backup we lost conductivity, and upon reconnecting the main unit it did not take over as it should (think it had then set the main unit's profile to disabled but that is from my memory). The end result was no conductivity at all!.
DrayTek did supply me with a Beta version which did at least show correctly that the profiles were then being left enabled but I was not allowed by my company to put it back into service due to the risk of interruption of our service. So I can't confirm if they solved the entire problem. Support said it would work but I can't confirm.
Since then there has been version 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 but no comment in the update notes of any changes/bug fixes to High Availability so don't know if the fix has followed through or not?
One day when I have time I'll update the 3900's to 1.2.2 and see if the profiles remain enabled but at the moment they are sitting in the rack powered but not in actual service but if our normal unit fails (2960) then I can switch over and run main only, better than nothing!!
Good luck and I'll be interested to see if you get it working right.

• ollywood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Feb 2017 14:47 #3 by ollywood
Replied by ollywood on topic Re: 3900 High Availability and VLAN routing
I am running Firmware 1.2.2 currently

As it stands we are not using IP alias with the 3900, but I know this function as we have used it many times on 2860's with multiple statics from BT, though not in a HA configuration.

I still have the issue and have sent configs, tests etc through to support with out a response yet.

I have tried various tests and configs above and beyond the various Draytek guides to try an get it working, but with out success.

Have an unboxed 2860, just seeing if I can get another to see if HA works on that model, to see if it is a model specific issue or general issue.

One main reason for getting the 3900 was for its HA capabilities as advertised. If I had know have much trouble it would be to get this working then I probably would have chosen a different manufacturer.

I will update this post if I get anywhere with this.

• ollywood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Feb 2017 13:41 #4 by ollywood
Well, not got very far with Draytek support, but have taken two 2860's (latest firmware on both) and set them up in HA with the same VLANs (minus 3 VLANs due to limitations on the 2860).

Every thing works as expected;
Can ping the two HA router addresses and the HA virtual address from other VLANs
When it fails over (by WAN file, LAN fail or power loss) the inter LAN routing carry's on working and then when restored back continues to work
If you ping 8.8.8.8 it is only lost for 4 pings during fail over, this is 20-30 plus on the 3900.

The VLAN configs are as follows;
The ha VLAN has 10.10.0.1 as virtual with routers as .2 and .3

The other VLANs have a single gateway of
10.10.100.1 VLANs 11
10.10.102.1 VLANs 12
10.10.1.1 VLANs 100
10.10.4.1 VLANs 400
10.10.5.1 VLANs 500

Inter LAN routing is highlighted on the 3900 and the 2860 is setup where all LANs can route to each other.

In both cases the 2860's and the 3900's were setup following the guidance on the draytek.co.uk website.

2860:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-ha-hotstandbyconfig

http://www.draytek.com/?a=resource/update&action=post/update&id=2016

I would expect HA to have a similar behavior across the various router types, but this is far from the case.

There is definitely an issue with the 3900's implementation of HA.

I have sent the router configs off to Draytek support in response to them requesting them along with the tests that I carried out proving inter VLAN connectivity or not.

Last comment from Draytek support was:
"The 2860 and 3900 routers don't have the same behaviour on an HA configuration. First of all you have a different Virtual IP for each VLAN whereas you only have a single VLAN with the 3900 series. This is not a bug as you mention it is expected behaviour."

This does not really make sense and is not what the Draytek guides infer.

Has anyone had HA working on a 3900 at all in the past and if so what firmware rev was it?

• ollywood
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Feb 2017 13:53 #5 by ollywood
Looking at alternative products (in case this HA issue with the 3900 does not get resolved) now such as the Watchguard firebox M200 which support HA with 2 devices, 50% more, but if it works then it is cheap compared to the two devices I have bought that don't.

Will update if anything happens.......ZZzzz

• mondz
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
30 Jan 2020 15:39 #6 by mondz
Hi what was the final outcome of this?