Novice DNS setup questions

• mickyluv
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2017 14:37 #1 by mickyluv
Novice DNS setup questions was created by mickyluv
My hope is to stream BBC iPlayer programmes, both video and audio, without stuttering and drop-outs occurring.
I decided to replace my standard ADSL2+ modem/router supplied by my ISP, Utility Warehouse.
I bought the Vigor 130 modem to use with a Linksys WRT190ACS router.
The modem, connected without problem to my ISP, as the Draytek guide said it would.

Not very surprisingly, the problems remain.

I'm seeking to improve the situation by re configuring the router, the modem, or both.
Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark software reported that my router was defining the DNS addresses, probably to the detriment of the service quality.
So I entered the static DNS server addresses of my ISP into my Linksys router config. This did speed up my connection to internet sites significantly.

So, I'm guessing that the router DNS settings are overriding the Modem defined DNS settings, because the Vigor 130 modem DNS appears to be set by default to Google's addresses.

Please can anyone help me with some of related questions?
Would it improve the situation if I modified the Vigor 130 DNS settings, either by clearing them, or changing them to my ISP's DNS addresses?

When accessing the BBC iPlayer website, is the DNS server used just once, to allow initial access to the site, then the data flows without further ado?
Or, does the DNS server need to be accessed regularly throughout the whole data streaming session?

If the former the data streaming dropouts are likely to be due to other causes than DNS issues.
If the latter, then the DNS addressing configuration remains as a possible cause of the problem.

I've been puzzling over this for a couple of weeks now, so any advice on the subject would be most appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2017 19:27 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Novice DNS setup questions
For use with iPlayer/IPTV etc. you should try setting the V130 in to bridge mode.

Try the settings in this guide : http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge?highlight=WyJJUFRWIl0=&return=9962550

( I think this is referenced in the release notes for the firmware).

• mickyluv
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Jun 2017 19:56 #3 by mickyluv
Replied by mickyluv on topic Re: Novice DNS setup questions

AdrianH54 wrote: For use with iPlayer/IPTV etc. you should try setting the V130 in to bridge mode.

Try the settings in this guide : http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge?highlight=WyJJUFRWIl0=&return=9962550

( I think this is referenced in the release notes for the firmware).

Thanks, I'll try that.
This is a new one on me, if I understand you correctly.
I've never before changed a modem setting to access a particular kind of download.
By putting the Modem in bridge mode, would this provide the usual range of internet access as well as facilitating iPlayer?
Or would I need to keep altering the configuration to suit each specific task?

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2017 07:10 #4 by adrianh54
No , once set up you won't need to change settings again .

• mickyluv
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2017 09:31 #5 by mickyluv
Replied by mickyluv on topic Re: Novice DNS setup questions

AdrianH54 wrote: No , once set up you won't need to change settings again .

Thank you again. I'm just about to make the changes that you and the linked article suggest.
Excuse me if I've asked too many questions in one post but while I'm about making the changes is it possible to resolve the situation regarding static DNS settings?

In the Vigor 130 the "DNS server IP address" is set to Google's: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

Currently, in my Linksys router the static DNS addresses are set to those of my ISP: 62.24.128.17/62.24.128.18

Is there a standard networking hierarchical structure that causes one of these 2 different address settings to predominate?
Or are there liable to be hardware brand variations?

I ask mainly because I'd like to change DNS server test setting in just one place for the sake of ease and to avoid possible confusion.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2017 06:42 #6 by adrianh54
You can change the DNS within the Vigor 130 to match those in the router.

I use DNS.WATCH on modem and router.