DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Basic problem exasperated by draytek site

• peskycoots
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2017 12:17 #1 by peskycoots
Basic problem exasperated by draytek site was created by peskycoots
quite simple really, borked firmware update on 2850 router, need to force a new firmware update.

Now the fun begins;
has anyone had any success navigating the draytek site? i have never come across anything so unfit for purpose. the page i need to read shows up in google no problem but I'm on my phone as the router is bricked, so i'm taken to a mobile site which then redirects me to god knows where instead of the page i need.
awesome.
so i set up a hotspot and use a laptop so i can at least see non mobile version of website and get linked to the actual page I'm searching for a not sent off to mobile web hell. i don't know why anyone thinks a mobile website is necessary.
anyway now i have to register to view the support page, and i need my router serial number to register.

which is bricked.
and the sticker is scratched.

i'm losing my mind here, anyone have a link to the firmware recovery app? OSx version?
think this is the last draytek for me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2017 13:36 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Basic problem exasperated by draytek site
The Draytek sites are all the same , a real mess, they should be ashamed.

I found an iPhone app ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Utility/iPhone%20utility/ have no idea what it does. There is absolutely nothing Mac related on the UK site.

More
05 Sep 2017 17:58 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Basic problem exasperated by draytek site
The Draytek support site says this:-

Apple's Mac OS X operating system has a command line TFTP utility that can be used to send firmware to a DrayTek router that is in TFTP mode

Here is how to do it:-

Step 1. Download the firmware from the DrayTek UK Downloads page, avoid beta firmware versions because those may not include the .rst file required to reflash the router back to factory default settings.

Step 2. Extract the .zip file from that page to the root of your user directory i.e. in Finder, under Places, select your user account and put the firmware in that folder. It needs to be in this location so that it can be easily accessed when using the Terminal command line interface.

Step 3. Connect the computer directly to the router's LAN ports and reconfigure the IP address on that LAN interface with a Static / Manual IP in the 192.168.1.x range, this would usually be 192.168.1.10:

IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Step 4. In Finder, go to Applications then Utilities and open Terminal

Step 5. Enter these commands into the Terminal window:

(replace v2820pbx_a9_[3571].all with the file name of the firmware being sent)
> tftp 192.168.1.1

> binary

> rexmt 1

> timeout 180

> put v2820pbx_a9_[3571].all

That will then wait three minutes (timeout 180) for the router to receive that firmware.

Step 6. At this stage, it is necessary to put the router into TFTP mode:

1. Power off the router

2. Press and hold the Factory Reset button

3. While still holding the Factory Reset button, turn the router back on

4. The router should then power up with the three lights on the left flashing, or on routers with a row of LEDs, the ACT light and the adjacent LED flashing.

5. Let go of the Factory Reset button.

Step 7. Roughly 30-40 seconds after turning the router on in TFTP mode, the Terminal window will show a message such as:
Sent 6210656 bytes in 91.0 seconds

Which indicates that the firmware has finished sending - leave the router to reflash itself for 3-4 minutes (less on newer models such as Vigor 2860), until the ACT light is blinking on the router again which indicates that it's back to normal operation.

Step 8. When the router is back online, it will be possible to log in to the router's web interface. If the .rst firmware was sent to the router, it will be accessible on 192.168.1.1 and the router will be running on Factory Default settings. If the .all firmware was sent to the router, set the computer's IP address back to its original setting and access the router as normal.

More
07 Sep 2017 14:39 #4 by admin

the page i need to read shows up in google no problem but I'm on my phone as the router is bricked,

Er... what page?

Anyway, why not use the UK site ?

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/software
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/legacy-products/vigor-2850

Forum Administrator

More
07 Sep 2017 14:40 #5 by admin

AdrianH54 wrote: The Draytek sites are all the same , a real mess, they should be ashamed

What's a mess on the UK site ?

Forum Administrator

More
08 Sep 2017 06:02 #6 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Basic problem exasperated by draytek site

admin wrote:

AdrianH54 wrote: The Draytek sites are all the same , a real mess, they should be ashamed

What's a mess on the UK site ?

The entire site , it is horrible to navigate or find anything.

I give up and go to Google , enter a search term and come back to Draytek in the results.

The OP's question : Utility for MAC, follow the links provided for the MAC product and you end up in the Windows folder .

Moderators: Sami