2960 with Virgin Superhub 3

• daedalus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Nov 2017 18:52 #1 by daedalus
2960 with Virgin Superhub 3 was created by daedalus
Does anyone know how to setup the 2960 to work with the Virgin Media Superhub 3 when the Superhub 3 is in modem mode?

I have had it working once over, but when we got a new V6 TV box and connected it to the network everything went off on the network and now I cannot get connected at all via the 2960. I still have internet if I connect via the Superhub in router mode, but I want my 2960 working again.

Thanks in advance.

Daedalus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
01 Dec 2017 11:09 #2 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub 3
How is the box connected?

Either way it shouldn't pull the connection down. does it resume if you drop it from the network?

• daedalus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2017 14:11 #3 by daedalus
Replied by daedalus on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub 3

silverstreak_2006 wrote: How is the box connected?

Either way it shouldn't pull the connection down. does it resume if you drop it from the network?

The 2960 is connected from Wan1 to the bottom port of the Superhub 3, the port closest to the coax in. It used to work fine like this. Although it took 2 Superhub 3's before we got it to work last time. I have tried everything I can think of to connect to the Hub 3 including having the Wan on the 2960 in both DHCP and with a fixed IP of 192.168.100.10. The Hub 3 has a fixed IP of 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode.

Cheers,

Daedalus

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 02:20 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub 3
I've not used a 2960 - but would expect it to work with V.M.

It should just be a matter of selecting "Static/Dynamic Address" - and enabling DHCP. Set Connection Detection to "Always On" and MTU to 1500 and it ought to burst into life. You might even be able to use the Setup Wizard :wink:

It can take a few interations (i.e. power cycles of the Hub 3) to get everything into line. You should see the Vigor first acquire a WAN address of 192.168.100.x ... followed very shortly afterwards by a real-world IP address. The initial lease on that address is very short (as in, tens of minutes - can't remember exactly) ... then when it renews, it's valid for more like a week - and should remain constant (until V.M. rejig something at their end).

You will probably not be able to access the Hub 3's GUI (i.e. 192.168.100.1) in this mode, as all such traffic will end up being sent to V.M.'s Default Gateway. See: HERE for more info on that.

Note: You can use any of the 'lan' ports on the Hub 3 when in modem mode - unlike earlier V.M. hubs, they are not disabled.

• silverstreak_2006
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 11:26 #5 by silverstreak_2006
Replied by silverstreak_2006 on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub 3
Hornbyp

Interesting, I never knew that the 100 range IP was issued before bridging the connection. You should be able to access the 100 IP address in modem mode still, providing you have no other routing policies to other gateways.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2017 14:28 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2960 with Virgin Superhub 3

silverstreak_2006 wrote: You should be able to access the 100 IP address in modem mode still, providing you have no other routing policies to other gateways.

Do you have a example of that working (with no other configuration)? ... I have long, boring, list of Vigors and V.M. Hubs, where it doesn't. The Vigors I've experience of, just send requests for 192.168.100.1 to their Default Gateway - i.e. the ISP (just as they do for any other unknown IP address).