Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860ac and ap902 5ghz operation mode conflict

• mickgibbin
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Dec 2017 18:36 #1 by mickgibbin
If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great, I’ve been trying to get this running for many hours now.

I am setting up two ap902’s to extend my 2.4ghz and 5ghz network on my 2860ac router.
The 2.4ghz setup was as easy as I expected it to be and works well.
However when I tried to set the 5ghz band up it has not gone so well.

Effectiveley I want to setup the 2.4ghz and 5ghz on AP Bridge-WDS
On the Operation mode page of the ap902 I can set both bands to AP Bridge-WDS but when I try to set the mode on the 2860ac router in the WDS option in the 5ghz Wirless LAN setup I can only set it to Disabled or repeater, the 2.4ghz option allows me to set it to disabled, bridged or repeater?
Am I missing a something here or does the 2860ac not support 5ghz in ap-bridge-wds

I have updated the 2860ac to the very latest firmware version.
What am I missing here as the 902 suggests that it can be done but the 2860 suggest that it cant.

Any help greatly appreciated
Mick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2018 11:56 #2 by admin3
If you're setting up WDS, you only need to set that up on one interface, ideally 5GHz, which then bridges internally in the AP/router to the 2.4GHz network of each device. It should work best if you configure it with both the AP & router using 5GHz WDS and the AP's 2.4GHz would be in AP mode.
That should give the best overall transfer speeds between the two points.

Forum Administrator

• mickgibbin
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Jan 2018 18:33 #3 by mickgibbin
Replied by mickgibbin on topic Re: 2860ac and ap902 5ghz operation mode conflict
Thank you, that seems to have done the trick

It was confusing as the 2860 router was not giving me the wds-bridge option in 5Ghz so I just followed yours instructions to the letter and set the 2860 5Ghz option to bridged and it is working.

I have now setup dual ap902’s with these settings and both seem fine.

Thanks again.
Mick.

More
04 Jan 2018 10:12 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860ac and ap902 5ghz operation mode conflict
Do you mind if I ask what sort of range you are getting the 5GHz connection to work over? I have a 902 in back room downstairs linking to a 900 in the garage - through 1 patio door, about 6 metres of garden and then the garage window/concrete wall. This works fine on 2.4GHz but I can't establish a connection on 5GHz.

• mickgibbin
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2018 10:52 #5 by mickgibbin
Replied by mickgibbin on topic Re: 2860ac and ap902 5ghz operation mode conflict
Like you I have found that the 5ghz range is not the greatest especially where walls are concerned.
I have a similar setup to you though as I have also extended the range into an external building much like your garage and I had to do a lot experimentation to get the external connections 5G running at a decent speed. I used a WiFi signal strength app on my phone to find the best place to put all the routers at best distance.

The distance between my 2860 and the ap902 is about 8-9 metres and passes through three dot and dab office walls. I have found that this is the limit. If I try to push it any further 5g will drop out intermittently.
I have another 902 extender setup at the other end of the office complex at a shorter distance and less walls and that is fine.

I have then setup a third extender which is not draytek (I had one lying around that I used to use a few years ago) I setup this in the outbuilding and connected it to the first 902 i mentioned above so I could extend 5g to the outbuilding. This extender is about 5-6 meters away and passes through two brick walls I found I got my best signal strength if I put the extender at the same level as the ap902 I am extending from. My outbuilding is lower than the office so i put the extender as high up as i could (touching the celiing) and I got a reasonably strong solid signal.

Hope that helps.
Mick.

More
06 Jan 2018 08:58 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2860ac and ap902 5ghz operation mode conflict
OK thanks - the AP900 in the garage is mostly used for connection to an IP camera and the bandwidth provided by the 2.4GHz link is adequate for that. Guess I can live with my phone connecting at potentially lower bandwidth when I go in there.