• fcs-simon
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2018 09:10 #1 by fcs-simon
Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues was created by fcs-simon
Good morning
I have configured a Windows 10 laptop with a standard user account.
The Draytek Smart VPN client is installed but every time I try and run as the standard user, i get the UAC popup asking for administrator details.
UAC is set to "Never Notify" and the end user account has to be standard for security reasons.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks
SM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 09:26 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues
The current DrayTek Smart VPN client software does require administrator rights to operate.

The ability to operate from a user level account is being looked into and I recommend contacting the support team for updates on when a new version will be available that can do this.

Forum Administrator

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
06 May 2018 13:44 #3 by prushmere
Replied by prushmere on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues
New version 4.3.4 is available - https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/software

From the release notes: User level accounts in Windows can now operate the DrayTek Smart VPN Client.

Seems to work fine.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 May 2018 02:58 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues
um - seems to not work at all on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ([Version 10.0.16299.371])... at least, not without downgrading one of the O/S's security features.

What happens, is a subliminal flash of the SmartVPN main window and an event is written to the event log:

The SmartVPN Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

This is the best explanation I can find , although it is actually pertaining to Windows Server 2008/Vista. The 'fix' described on that page is useless (clearing the "interact with Desktop" setting), because the service appears to have been written to do just that, in order to function :(

This Stack overflow page describes the alternative strategy, of downgrading your system security instead - which does work.

I wonder which (if any) system, Draytek tested this on?

• prushmere
  • User
  • User
More
07 May 2018 08:07 #5 by prushmere
Replied by prushmere on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues
That's bizarre, it's running fine on my Win10 64 Pro laptop. I checked that registry key just in case and it's set to 1, so interactive services are disabled.

That said, I'm local administrator on this machine - I'll try it on the company laptop tomorrow and see what happens.

Probably a dumb question: did you install as administrator?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
07 May 2018 14:14 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Smart VPN Client - UAC Issues

prushmere wrote: Probably a dumb question: did you install as administrator?

Yes

I also tried it on a second system - with the same results as the first one. :(