V130 unstable - was OK.

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2018 08:10 #1 by wilsodg
V130 unstable - was OK. was created by wilsodg
I have 2 lines into the house - one on BT Residential, and one on BT Business. Both into v130 modems, and then into 2925 Dual Wan Router. Been mostly ok, although the business line is more temperamental than the residential if we ever get problems. Both lines have 14SNR at the moment (but this fluctuates and sometimes goes as low as 6).
A week ago both lines dropped at (6.50 am so unlikely to be exchange work - we are rural and the exchange is at the end of our drive) and would not login after that time. Note.. the VDSL line sync and connection between the modem and the exchange looked fine, but it would not establish a PPP connection. I changed the timeout on the 2925 WAN definition from default (20) to 50. Both lines logged in ok. I did this because I had tried the BT Business Hub and it complained of no broadband initially - took a long time to connect, but was ok after a few minutes. The Residential line is fine now - rock solid. The Business line (on the v130) drops every 25 minutes on average (varies between 5 minutes and 4 hrs, but usually 25mins), and this is a VDSL drop because it has to re-train etc. Modem firmwares are 3.8.2_BT, and router is 3.8.8. If I plug the BT Business Hub in, then it holds the line (has not dropped in the last 24 hrs). So BT say it is my equipment at fault.

I have not tried the alternate firmware - what does this do, and why might it be better?

Kinda stuck.
I do have a spare V130 and could try that, but it does seem that the v130 is more temperamental than the BT Business Hub. Suggestions please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2018 06:07 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: V130 unstable - was OK.
Try the alternative firmware . I am on FTTC from an ECI cabinet , 130 meters away. Using the "BT" firmware sees session drops , often up to 4 times a day and the line is at best "flakey" . Change to the alternative firmware and my connection is perfect, no session drops for many weeks, no erratic behaviour/speeds/issues.

• wilsodg
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 May 2018 23:02 #3 by wilsodg
Replied by wilsodg on topic Re: V130 unstable - was OK.
Thanks. Tried the alternative firmware - been solid for 8 hrs now which is better than a while. Will check back in the morning, but definitely better thus far. Still curious to know what the difference is (like is there a downside on performance, otherwise why have 2 versions?)
Now been up for 30 hrs. Solid. Many thanks, and to others - the alternative firmware is definitely worth a go.

• bully
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2018 13:53 #4 by bully
Replied by bully on topic Re: V130 unstable - was OK.

AdrianH54 wrote: Try the alternative firmware . I am on FTTC from an ECI cabinet , 130 meters away. Using the "BT" firmware sees session drops , often up to 4 times a day and the line is at best "flakey" . Change to the alternative firmware and my connection is perfect, no session drops for many weeks, no erratic behaviour/speeds/issues.

Can this make a difference? Since I upgraded my 130’s firmware from 3.8.2 BT to 3.8.3 BT my speed has dropped and my DS interleave depth has gone from 1 to 581, would using the alternative firmware help with this. I’m on BT Infinity 2 and my cabinet is ECI.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
31 Dec 2018 17:40 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: V130 unstable - was OK.

Bully wrote:

AdrianH54 wrote: Try the alternative firmware . I am on FTTC from an ECI cabinet , 130 meters away. Using the "BT" firmware sees session drops , often up to 4 times a day and the line is at best "flakey" . Change to the alternative firmware and my connection is perfect, no session drops for many weeks, no erratic behaviour/speeds/issues.

Can this make a difference? Since I upgraded my 130’s firmware from 3.8.2 BT to 3.8.3 BT my speed has dropped and my DS interleave depth has gone from 1 to 581, would using the alternative firmware help with this. I’m on BT Infinity 2 and my cabinet is ECI.

Using the alternative firmware on an ECI cabinet can make a huge difference, especially with stability.

You could also try tweaking the SNR , I used this tweak (set a value of -25 ) and reset the connection.

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/draytek-vigor-130-and-fttc-snr-setting-increased-sync.18795691/

Your interleave depth changing that much would normally result from a quite severe line issue which may need an engineers attention.

See what happens when you flash the alternative firmware.

• bully
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jan 2019 12:03 #6 by bully
Replied by bully on topic Re: V130 unstable - was OK.

AdrianH54 wrote:

Bully wrote:

Using the alternative firmware on an ECI cabinet can make a huge difference, especially with stability.

You could also try tweaking the SNR , I used this tweak (set a value of -25 ) and reset the connection.

https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-adjust-adsl-snr-value-(for-vigor130/2760/2860-only)/

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/draytek-vigor-130-and-fttc-snr-setting-increased-sync.18795691/

Your interleave depth changing that much would normally result from a quite severe line issue which may need an engineers attention.

See what happens when you flash the alternative firmware.

I have updated to the alternative firmware and my stats have increased and my interleave depth has reduced slightly now 577. Does the Draytek 130 stats change live or only when you reboot the modem?