Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue

• ubyu
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2018 10:13 #1 by ubyu
I've put in a ticket this morning, but thought I'd mention it here too.

Basically after a few days of usage my Vigor 2862's web interface and telnet appear to become unresponsive. I have a program which periodically (once a minute) fetches the DSL statistics via telnet from the Vigor 2862 and saves/graphs them for monitoring purposes (such as errored seconds, CRC errors, or such). I do this on my other DrayTek device too, a Vigor 2860Vac, which is perfectly stable. The only way to unfreeze the DrayTek Vigor 2862 is to power cycle it. Both DrayTek devices are acting as bridged modems connected to my ISP's Firebrick 2900 router, as I have a bonded line with my ISP (AAISP). Any ideas appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2018 11:37 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue
Does the 2862 allow multiple Telnet sessions to be active at the same time?
(The 2860 won't allow a 2nd one to be started - it says "Reject the connection request !!!").

If so, that might explain the apparent resource depletion?

Personally, I use SNMP to obtain stats from a 2830 and a 2860 (though not DSL counters). My weapon of choice is Paessler's PRTG .

• ubyu
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2018 11:40 #3 by ubyu
Replied by ubyu on topic Re: Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue

hornbyp wrote: Does the 2862 allow multiple Telnet sessions to be active at the same time?
(The 2860 won't allow a 2nd one to be started - it says "Reject the connection request !!!").

If so, that might explain the apparent resource depletion?

Personally, I use SNMP to obtain stats from a 2830 and a 2860 (though not DSL counters). My weapon of choice is Paessler's PRTG .

I'm not sure, but I will check that out. Maybe I can adapt my program to use SNMP instead. The telnet session however is exited with the proper command so I'd like to hope that it's not remaining in memory or something. As far as I know the 2862 doesn't allow multiple telnet sessions just like the 2860, but I am not 100% sure on this. It does however lack a setting for specifying the telnet timeout unlike the 2860, which I set rather low.

More
06 Jun 2018 12:42 #4 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue

ubyu wrote:

hornbyp wrote: It does however lack a setting for specifying the telnet timeout unlike the 2860, which I set rather low.

Watch out for f/w 3.8.9 which can’t be far away for the UK. I think I saw this mentioned in the release notes.

• ubyu
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jun 2018 13:16 #5 by ubyu
Replied by ubyu on topic Re: Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue

x64 wrote:

ubyu wrote:

hornbyp wrote: It does however lack a setting for specifying the telnet timeout unlike the 2860, which I set rather low.

Watch out for f/w 3.8.9 which can’t be far away for the UK. I think I saw this mentioned in the release notes.

Just checked, you are right :), this might solve my problems if the telnet session is for some reason not closing down properly.

- Improved: Add a sub telnet command related to “mngt” to change timeout setting.

I assume it's either not advised or not possible to use an international firmware version with the same modem code on a UK variant of this router.

More
06 Jun 2018 13:35 #6 by x64
Replied by x64 on topic Re: Vigor 2862 interface freezing issue
Yes you should not use the international firmware in the UK. But then for me, the 2862’s. VDSL is unstable no matter what code I use (including the _BT variants). I’ve resorted to piggybacking off of my (insert other manufacturer’s name here) rock solid router until Draytek recognise the issues with, and stabilises the modem code.

International code may also (I suppose) use Wi-fi channels not licensed in the UK I don’t know if specifying the wifi country code GB would be enough to rein it in or not.

Still 3.8.9 can’t be far away. The 5GHz AES fix sounds interesting as well.