Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2018 11:19 #1 by sheltons
Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS was created by sheltons
OK,
so we decided to buy a 2862LAC when our MiFi's battery decided to swell to the point of nearly exploding, reather than buy another MiFi.

All looks good in setting up and testing except that I can't get the router to send SMS messages, I have sent one from my phone for Reboot and Status, and the Reboot one did make the router reboot but I did not receive a status.

So I went in to LTE/ Send SMS and sent a test message, trying both +4477..... and 077.... but no text received? The inbox shows my message from my phone coming from +4477..... I can also see the Test Messages and Status messages in the 'SMS Outbox Cache'.

I had Syslog on as well and cannot see any info in it to say what's going wrong.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Using Firmware: 3.8.8.2_BT

John.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2018 17:05 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS
I seem to recall reading that the 2862 can't send SMS from it's built-in modem - the release notes say that this ability "may" appear in a future firmware update.

If this is so then at present you're stuck with using an external SMS provider as with the rest of the 286x series/

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jun 2018 17:21 #3 by sheltons
Replied by sheltons on topic Re: Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS

Piste Basher wrote: I seem to recall reading that the 2862 can't send SMS from it's built-in modem - the release notes say that this ability "may" appear in a future firmware update.

If this is so then at present you're stuck with using an external SMS provider as with the rest of the 286x series/

OK, thanks. At least I know if I send a Reboot Command it will at least reboot.

More
12 Jun 2018 09:20 #4 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS
Check that the SIM can send / has credit to send SMS messages, many data SIMs don't include credit to *send* SMS, but they can receive them. The Vigor 2860Ln can send texts from its LTE modem, the Vigor 2862Lac is designed to be capable of that as well. The syslog output should indicate that the message has been sent successfully.

Try the SIM in a phone to see if it's able to send a message or not.
The number format should be +44(number without the leading 0).

Forum Administrator

• sheltons
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jun 2018 15:06 #5 by sheltons
Replied by sheltons on topic Re: Vigor 2862LAC - LTE Failing to Send SMS

admin3 wrote: Check that the SIM can send / has credit to send SMS messages, many data SIMs don't include credit to *send* SMS, but they can receive them. The Vigor 2860Ln can send texts from its LTE modem, the Vigor 2862Lac is designed to be capable of that as well. The syslog output should indicate that the message has been sent successfully.

Try the SIM in a phone to see if it's able to send a message or not.
The number format should be +44(number without the leading 0).

Have been in touch with the Mobile providers and they have confirmed a Data Only will not Send SMS, Only Receive. Always considered SMS as Data. :D

They are looking into options.

Thanks.

More
13 Jun 2018 12:20 #6 by admin

Piste Basher wrote: I seem to recall reading that the 2862 can't send SMS from it's built-in modem

I think it can.. it's in the spec.

Forum Administrator