WAN2 Throughput

• garagesoft
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jun 2018 12:40 #1 by garagesoft
WAN2 Throughput was created by garagesoft
I have a customer where we use their 2830n router with their Virgin Media router (currently Hitron) set to Modem Mode and connected to the WAN2 port. This works fine, including the VPN, which is the reason for this setup. However, the speed is much slower (topping out at about 65Mbps) this way than going directly through the Virgin Media router (over 300Mbps).

After a lot of testing I suspect that, despite the WAN2 port being labelled as Gigabit, it is actually 10/100 when used in this manner. Can anyone confirm this? If this is indeed the case, does this limitation apply to the current range?

The customer is happy to update to a current model but I need to be sure this will resolve the situation.

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2018 13:54 #2 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: WAN2 Throughput
That sounds about right for the 2830, the limiting factor being the Firewall which tops out between 60 and 90Mbps depending on configuration.
They need to update to something like a 2862 which is rated to about 400Mbps according to the spec.
Personally I have a 2860 and it copes fine with a 200Mbps Virgin circuit in Modem Mode.

Neil..

• garagesoft
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jun 2018 13:47 #3 by garagesoft
Replied by garagesoft on topic Re: WAN2 Throughput
Thanks Neil. Just what I needed :D

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jul 2018 03:23 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: WAN2 Throughput

g6ifs wrote: Personally I have a 2860 and it copes fine with a 200Mbps Virgin circuit in Modem Mode.

But note that on the 2860, the largest value that can be set for Q.O.S. bandwidth is 200Mbps. Virgin Media's '200Mbps' service is actually 220, which means it's not compatible.

(This bug was reported to Draytek 12 months ago (#DQ941956) ... they sporadically ask me to try the latest firmware, on the off chance it's fixed itself :?: :roll: :?: - it's clearly not going to :( )

More
01 Jul 2018 08:28 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: WAN2 Throughput
That may be only for QoS...so if you don't enable it, the limit doesn't apply ?

Forum Administrator

More
01 Jul 2018 12:01 #6 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: WAN2 Throughput
I've never had need of QoS and certainly the 2860 can do the 220 Mbps with it switched off. Don't know what the limit is though, might be lower than 300 Mbps ?
The 2862 looks suitable by specification but with reading some comments on this forum I do wonder how stable it actually is?
I would recommend the 2960 for a small business then it is ready for the future rather than risking having to be changed again when the company discover the higher speeds and start using it!
One thing to remember though that the 2960 doesn't have WiFi at all, so you will need a AP902 or AP 910C as well. Good combination that works very well.

Neil..