Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity

• iskye81
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2018 17:26 #1 by iskye81
Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity was created by iskye81
Hoping someone can help out with this. I've recently been upgraded to BT Infinity fibre and, rather than use BT's very limited Home Hub, I followed the instructions on the Draytek site for configuring the 2820 and an Openreach modem for use with fibre. All seemed well, but as it turned out all was only well over WiFi, as when I fired up my desktop PC, which has a wired connection to the router I discovered that the connection was continually dropping and reconnecting every few seconds.

My first thought was a faulty ethernet cable, however I ruled that out as it was working fine with the Home Hub (and was fine with my old broadband connection anyway). I've also upgraded the 2820's firmware, but this has made no difference. The issue is particularly noticeable with Spotify as it presumably continually monitors the internet connection and so is continuously dropping and reconnecting, making playback impossible. I've seen this reported elsewhere but can find no relevant fix. As I say the connection over WiFi seems to be rock solid.

Any possibly solutions greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Dec 2018 23:11 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity

iskye81 wrote: I've recently been upgraded to BT Infinity fibre and, rather than use BT's very limited Home Hub, I followed the instructions on the Draytek site for configuring the 2820 and an Openreach modem for use with fibre. All seemed well, but as it turned out all was only well over WiFi, as when I fired up my desktop PC, which has a wired connection to the router I discovered that the connection was continually dropping and reconnecting every few seconds.

Are you sure you've not just run out of 'oommmph' ? I think the claimed throughput for the 2820 was only 50Mbps or so. What speed is your Fibre service? if you're on 80/20, it wouldn't definitely wouldn't manage that.

However, there shouldn't be any dropping of connections, as such - just a lack of speed. What does http://speedtest.net show? (and BT's own test site, who's URL I have forgotten)

What connection do you think is dropping? Also, what is the provenance of the Openreach modem - is that up to the job?

• iskye81
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2018 12:45 #3 by iskye81
Replied by iskye81 on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity

hornbyp wrote:

iskye81 wrote: I've recently been upgraded to BT Infinity fibre and, rather than use BT's very limited Home Hub, I followed the instructions on the Draytek site for configuring the 2820 and an Openreach modem for use with fibre. All seemed well, but as it turned out all was only well over WiFi, as when I fired up my desktop PC, which has a wired connection to the router I discovered that the connection was continually dropping and reconnecting every few seconds.

Are you sure you've not just run out of 'oommmph' ? I think the claimed throughput for the 2820 was only 50Mbps or so. What speed is your Fibre service? if you're on 80/20, it wouldn't definitely wouldn't manage that.

However, there shouldn't be any dropping of connections, as such - just a lack of speed. What does http://speedtest.net show? (and BT's own test site, who's URL I have forgotten)

What connection do you think is dropping? Also, what is the provenance of the Openreach modem - is that up to the job?

My Fibre service is speeds up to 50Mbps and as I say WiFi is fine, so that really shouldn't be the issue. It is definitely dropping and reconnecting, or at least exhibiting behaviour very similar to that. Speedtest.net and similar don't help as I always experience a dropout when attempting a test and thus get no reading. Regular browsing is doable, but is frequently accompanied by a page error on loading, only for the page to reload itself.

Not sure what you mean by 'what connection do you think is dropping'. The Openreach modem is fine, and is connected from a LAN port to the 2820's WAN to port (again, configured as per the Daytek knowledgebase). If there are no issues with WiFi then why should the wired connection be so flaky?

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2018 12:48 #4 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity
Are you saying that your wired ethernet lan connection keeps dropping, but VDSL connection is stable?

If so, you could try popping a switch between your 2820 and other wired devices and see if that helps.

• iskye81
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2018 15:07 #5 by iskye81
Replied by iskye81 on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity
Well this is perplexing. I've now done as you suggested mbames and tried a laptop over the wired ethernet connection, and it's working fine. I deleted and recreated the network connection on the desktop PC just to be certain, but no joy. Seems to be pointing towards an incompatibility between the desktop PC's network adapter and either the Openreach modem or the altered settings on the 2820, bearing in mind it was working fine with the BT HomeHub.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
04 Dec 2018 18:24 #6 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2820Vn and BT Infinity
Try forcing the PC's NIC to 100mbps full duplex. I wonder if it keeps trying to go for 1gbps and failing - driver issues maybe.

Some times, popping a switch between the two devices can help (you can even use an old router, but remember to turn off DHCP in the "old" router first).