Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2862vac 4G Modem on WAN2

• coldfinger
  • Topic Author
More
07 Dec 2018 23:18 #1 by coldfinger
Vigor2862vac 4G Modem on WAN2 was created by coldfinger
Hi,
I'm trying unsuccessfully to configure a 4G modem to WAN2 of a Vigor2862vac router. The 4G modem in bridge mode works OK with direct connection to a laptop but doesn't work if I connect it to WAN2 of the 2862 router.
I therefore presume I'm not configuring WAN2 correctly. The manual covers USB 4G modems but not Ethernet 4G modems.

The reason I'm using an Ethernet 4G modem is so that I can place the modem close to an external aerial for better reception, i.e in the loft, whereas the router is downstairs.
Any guidance (at complete novice level) would be appreciated as I'm fed up with my poor ADSL connection when there's a good 4G service available.
Thanks for any advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• coldfinger
  • Topic Author
More
08 Dec 2018 00:02 #2 by coldfinger
Replied by coldfinger on topic Re: Vigor2862vac 4G Modem on WAN2
Sorry, should have included what I've done so far.
When I connected the 4G modem to the laptop the status of the Ethernet adaptor showed the ipv4 address as 10.27.96.0 and if I type 'myip' into google I get 85.255.236.xx.
When I connect the 4G modem to WAN2 of the 2862 router with it configured as 'Ethernet/DCHP' the IP address (on the dashboard) is 10.26.229.206. I would expect this address to be 85.something if it was connected to the internet.
If I disconnect the ADSL line I don't get any internet so WAN2 is not working.
Am I right to use 'Ethernet/DCHP'?
Thanks for any assistance

• coldfinger
  • Topic Author
More
08 Dec 2018 00:04 #3 by coldfinger
Ooops, DHCP!

More
10 Dec 2018 07:57 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Vigor2862vac 4G Modem on WAN2
If the PC worked with DHCP then I'd expect the router to use the same.

Forum Administrator

More
11 Dec 2018 12:44 #5 by andew
Replied by andew on topic Re: Vigor2862vac 4G Modem on WAN2
Hi

Which dns servers are you specifying on the router? if you router is using your isp's dns servers then they probably will not respond when switching to the 4G connection. It may be worth specifying googles or some other dns providers servers in the lan setting on your router.

Regards

Andrew

• coldfinger
  • Topic Author
More
13 Dec 2018 10:39 #6 by coldfinger
Hi,
The first Netgear modem/router that I did my pre-testing on failed and when the replacement arrived I configured it to bridge mode and connected it to the router.
So this morning I took if off the router, reset it to factory settings and connected it directly to a laptop, so the Netgear/Laptop is separated from my main network.
With the Netgear in ROUTER mode, no DHCP, VPN Pass Through on, DMZ off and failover mode set to 'Mobile Only' and the laptop network IP set to 192.168.5.10, Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.5.1, DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 I connect to the internet via EE with an IP of 213.205.xxx.xxx.
I then set the Netgear to 'Bridge Mode' without changing any laptop settings. Again the modem connected to EE with an IP of 213.205.slightly different. The laptop's network status was ipv4 192.168.5.10, Gateway 192.168.5.1, DNS 8.8.8.8. & 8.8.4.4.
So I conclude the modem connects O.K. in router or Bridge mode to a single device i.e. my laptop.
Without changing any Netgear settings I then connect it to the WAN2 port of the Vigor2862 router. I've set WAN2 setting to 'Obtain an IP automatically' on the 'Static or Dynamic IP' tab. With this setting the dashboard shows WAN2 'Line/Mode' to be 'Ethernet/DHCP Client' with a IP of 10.115.168.203. I'm not sure where this IP originates I certainly have not set it. BTW the DNS addresses are set to 8.8.8.8. & 8.8.4.4.
It seems that I need to be able to configure the Vigor's WAN2 settings correctly, any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions