Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Uk Draytek 130 speed/drops

• timguyuk
  • Topic Author
More
05 Feb 2019 13:33 #1 by timguyuk
Uk Draytek 130 speed/drops was created by timguyuk
Hi

Im running a draytek 130 with a Mikrotik Router, running PPPoE, on a TalkTalk Business FTTC (wrapped with Daisy, don't think that's important), the original firmware (unknown, I didn't take much notice at the time), dropped a number of times a day. Speed was around 60 down (advertised for my location was 73-55 so I was on the limited and couldn't see the need to moan).

I am running the the 130 in PPPoE/PPPoA mode, not MPoA. I didn't have much luck with MPoA but ill go back and try again with this: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge?return=8567559

I upgraded to BT 3.8.3 and my speeds have dropped down to 35, DS Attainable Rate is showing 57293900bps, It has dropped once in 24 hours.

I tried the alternative 3.8.3 firmware and I couldn't get the DSL to sync.

The DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR is : < BDCM >

Should the alternative firmware work with that DSLAM?
I see that 3.8.4 came out this week so Ill try that.

Anything else anyone can suggest.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2019 14:46 #2 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: Uk Draytek 130 speed/drops
You've probably been banded by the DLM system which has seen your previous frequent drops and capped your speed to increase your SNRm and stabilise your line. What you need now is a prolonged period with low errors and no or very few resyncs in each 24hr period for the DLM to hopfully remove the banding and the other stabilisation steps.

See here for further details: https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

PS the 3.8.4 has only a minor change to some wording on the GUI which won't actually improve your connection, by flashing the firmware you will cause another line disconnect which will potentially count against you when DLM looks at your line performance. Ideally if you know you're going to need a modem/router reboot you should unlug your WAN cable and leave it unplugged for more than 30 minutes, doing this should make DLM see it as a deliberate disconnection and not a random re-sync!

• timguyuk
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2019 13:28 #3 by timguyuk
Replied by timguyuk on topic Re: Uk Draytek 130 speed/drops
Thanks for the reply.

I have requested a DSL reset late yesterday evening but I dont think its gone through yet as supplier just confirmed now that OR had aknoweldge reset request and it would be in 24/48 hours.

My Attainable has now dropped to 22mpbs but I am still getiing 34mpbs so no idea whats going on.

Supplier also noticed noise on the line at 21.15 to 22.00 so no idea what that is.

Ill have to sit tight for 10 days and see what happens with the DSL profiling.

Tim

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2019 19:34 #4 by hopkins35
Replied by hopkins35 on topic Re: Uk Draytek 130 speed/drops
Have you tried a quiet line test, dial 17070 & option 2 from a BT phone to listen for any audible pops and hisses? There could of course be an underlying line fault which will need fixing otherwise after the DLM reset you'll get frequent drops again, DLM will kick in and you'll be back to square one

• timguyuk
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2019 18:29 #5 by timguyuk
Still not really any further one from this.

TTB reset the DSLAM, Im back up to 50Mb/s but I cant get any better. Getting drop outs 3-4 times a day.

Ive installed another 130 with TTB down in Wiltshire. When it was installed they were getting 70Mb, 2 weeks later its now dropped down to 20Mb and they are getting drop outs 2-3 times a day.

Ive got a Draytek 130 back from a Openreach customer that was dropping out that a colleague took home to a plusnet and it worked fine. I am going to swap that one with my 130 as soon as I can to see if it stables out my line or if its just as bad.

Of course I could be incredibly unlucky and their all line faults but something still niggling at me that theres something wrong with the 130s.

Tim

• timguyuk
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2019 18:32 #6 by timguyuk

hopkins35 wrote: Have you tried a quiet line test, dial 17070 & option 2 from a BT phone to listen for any audible pops and hisses? There could of course be an underlying line fault which will need fixing otherwise after the DLM reset you'll get frequent drops again, DLM will kick in and you'll be back to square one

Certainly on my line for a good 10 mins there wasn't any crackle or pop!

Tim