DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

QOS - does it actually prioritise or just reserve bandwidth?

• donkeyfumbler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
10 Feb 2019 21:17 #1 by donkeyfumbler
As per the title. I am trying to set up the 2862 so that it prioritises traffic from one IP address first, a few IP addresses second and everything else third. I have enabled QOS and set the first IP in Class 1, the next addresses in class 2 and left everything else alone. I have left the division of bandwidth as the default (so 25% for all four classes).

Is this going to have the desired effect though? When the line gets congested is it going to prioritise the traffic from the IP address in class 1? Or is it just going to reserve 25% of the bandwidth for it's sole use?

My issue is that I am getting ping spikes when total traffic is high (and well before it reaches the max download limit that the line has synced at) and I am hoping this will do something to alleviate that.

Any help much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2019 11:17 #2 by admin
I believe it does prioritise and set the ratio accordinging so if there's a queue of data, if one category has a 2:1 ratio over another, twice the data will be sent per period.

Forum Administrator

• donkeyfumbler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2019 09:21 #3 by donkeyfumbler
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it hasn't had much of an effect that I can see. When the wife is watching Netflix it seems to saturate the whole connection so that any other traffic is disrupted - pings can go from 8ms one ping to 240ms the next - and online gaming really suffers. Bizarrely it seems to be far worse with Netflix than other streaming services - Amazon, BBC Iplayer etc.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2019 10:18 #4 by hopkins35
Do you see the graphs on the status page of the QOS menu populate correctly? I remember that when I set QOS on my 2862 that it never seemed to work corrctly until some unknown event took place or possibly a reboot (it's been a while since I got rid of my 2862) and then the graphs reported the classes' bandwidth correctly and QOS definitely worked.

Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? I seem to remember that this will bypass QOS

• donkeyfumbler
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2019 10:23 #5 by donkeyfumbler
The Inbound\Outbound bar charts? Yes they seem to show the traffic for the various classes I have set up, so it seems to be working correctly. I've not enabled hardware acceleration as I was aware that this bypassed QOS, plus I had read quite a few other posts of people having issues with it in general.

• hopkins35
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2019 10:42 #6 by hopkins35
Hmm sounds like it's working ok then, as I said, I do remember that it often wouldn't respect my changes - new IP addresses added to a class group, bandwidth ratio, etc straight away but then it would suddenly kick in.

Does your firmware version auto complete the total bandwidth box or do you need to populate it manually? I seem to remember there being issues with this on some of the firmware versions. On v3.8.8.2 I used to set the total bandwidth to something like 98% of my line rate (bear in mind that your ISP profile speed can be significantly less than the actual sync rate of the modem) and was then able to watch live http IPTV streams while the QOS throttled back any bulk downloads. On the whole this worked well although there was the occasional blip where the downloads would seemingly spike which caused a glitch with the stream.

If you have the ability to set the total bandwidth manually, then I would do a few tests on a speedtest site, take the average of those speeds and set to 98% of that.

You will see increased latency and therefore higher ping times caused by congestion when you reach the upper part of your bandwidth and this might be lower than you expect it to be hence doing the speedtests and not relying on your sync rate.