• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2019 20:33 #1 by hackitt
NTP update problem was created by hackitt
Gateway router Vigor 2830 is 192.168.10.1

AP Router Vigor 2830 as Switch Router is 192.168.10.2

In order to set up schedules on the Switch router I need to have the time correct. I have the switch router lan 1 connected to a lan of the Gateway router. DHCP is disabled on the switch.

Am I correct in thinking that the NTP time will only update if the second (switch) router connects via WAN port? How can I get round this? Any time the second router is re-booted, it of course, looses the correct time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2019 12:51 #2 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: NTP update problem
I'd imagine the routers make an internet request for time (NTP), so as long as there is a valid connection is should be fine. In my experience, it can take the router a while to update the time (I assume it tries to get the time before the connection is established and then goes into a wait loop before trying again).

More
19 Apr 2019 10:31 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: NTP update problem
My AP902 gets its time from pool.ntp.org and it's connected to the router via a LAN port so I don't see why your AP router shouldn't do the same, unless it's internally configured to only get it via WAN for some reason?

More
19 Apr 2019 11:24 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: NTP update problem
You're calling it a "Switch router" so are you using it as a switch only and no routing / no WAN ports ?

Forum Administrator

• hackitt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Apr 2019 14:03 #5 by hackitt
Replied by hackitt on topic Re: NTP update problem

admin wrote: You're calling it a "Switch router" so are you using it as a switch only and no routing / no WAN ports ?

Correct. It's an AP only.

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
19 Apr 2019 14:29 #6 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: NTP update problem
In that case once the "switch" is rebooted, it should pick up the time automatically via its LAN connection (assuming it has a valid network config), although I have to confess to never testing that.