• User
  • User
More
08 Oct 2019 09:21 #1 by leifrod
Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router was created by leifrod
Hi Everyone

I've got a best practice question.
I have the Vigor 2862 model.
I am looking for a best way to connect the vigor to a vodafone router.
What I want to achieve is Vigor to serve wifi and have a vpn tunnel set up, this goes via the vodafone router to internet.
I have tried connecting via wan ports but double natting is not the best way to do this.
Can someone help me out with a better way?
Also I have issues configuring LAN ports 2-5 , the setup page says you need to activate vlans for this?
What does this mean exactly, some help with understanding this would be great. Ideally I want to have the lan ports on the same subnet.
My vodafone router is on 192.168.1.0 subnet
I presume I need to config vigor LAN1 to 192.168.1.2 ? and give it a static address on the vodafone ?
Question is which vodafone router port to connect best? LAN or WAN?

Many thanks for help

Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• richard1234
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2019 13:46 #2 by richard1234
Replied by richard1234 on topic Re: Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router
Regarding activating VLANs I think you need to use the configuration page LAN/VLAN configuration. My Vigor 2862 has 4 ethernet ports labeled P1 to P4 (not sure why you have 2-5?). Given that you want all the ports on the same subnet tick "Enable" and then for the row VLAN0 tick all the ports that you want in the same subnet, also use the drop-down to select eg. LAN2. "LAN2" is now a logical name that you can use to configure all these ports in the same way (Using the LAN/General Setup pages).

I think you will need to connect the Vigor WAN2 port to the vodafone router as that is the route to the internet.

I am not sure how you avoid double NAT, can you get the dhcp requests of LAN clients to pass through the Vigor and get responded to by the vodafone? Or use IPv6 which doesn't use NAT? This might be difficult if the vodafone router can't be set up to sub-delegate prefixes.

It might be easier if you could omit the vodafone router? What type of connection is it (e.g. VDSL)?
Richard

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
12 Oct 2019 21:38 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router
My daughter has just moved to Vodafone. I had a quick look at the router config and it looks a very "locked down" implementation. It doesn't appear to validate by Username/Password (at least they're not visible) and I don't recall seeing anywhere to set it into "Bridge Mode". Like Sky, they seem very keen on you sticking with their equipment!

(Just a quick observation, that may or may not help :| )

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
13 Oct 2019 07:09 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router
If you "push" Vodafone support you can get the login details and use your own modem/router combination. There has been conversation regarding this on the Think Broadband forums in the past.

More
13 Oct 2019 09:05 #5 by g7pkf
Replied by g7pkf on topic Re: Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router
Agree with above.

only two ways to stop double natting is dump vodaphone router or get them to supply public ip out of one of the ports.

I would go option 1

Surfing with G.Fast at 330MB

• leifrod
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Oct 2019 16:29 #6 by leifrod
Replied by leifrod on topic Re: Connecting Vigor to Vodafone Router
Thank you very much for pointers guys, much appreciated.
I will play with it once I have some spare time.
I think setting up the ADSL from the Draytek will be much better for the whole architecture.
Once I have something working I'll put some notes in here.
First I wanted to connect the Draytek via LAN1 to LAN1 on Vodafone and give them 192.168.1.2 and .1.1 respectively, voda being the gateway.