Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multi IP single router

• markhad
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2021 08:13 #1 by markhad
Multi IP single router was created by markhad
Dear Gurus,
I have just had virgin business installed. I get 5 static IPs and my box is in modem mode so I need a router. Can I get a Drayteck router that can use 2 of the IPs at the same time? Basiclly I want one IP for internal computers and to use another IP for a guest network. I have a wireless access point that can be run in guest mode but in my old setup they both had the same IP (as I only had one). I have read about NAT on these pages but to be honest, I don't really understand it!
What I am hoping for is to input 2 of the IPs I have been given by Virgin in the router and then setup my computers to use the gateway for one of them and the wireless access point to use the other one. Is this soemthing do do witht he subnet mask?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2021 11:39 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Multi IP single router
I think you probably can, but the question is why would you want to?

• markhad
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2021 11:47 #3 by markhad
Replied by markhad on topic Re: Multi IP single router
Thank you. When you say why, why to which bit?

I have 5 static IPs from Virgin. I offer guest wifi to my customers. Some parts of our website are protected by the IP address (using htaccess - nothing too sensitive, that's all kept out of the web root) so in theory if guest users knew where to look they cold access areas they shouldn't as they would be using the same IP address as our computers. So what I wanted is for the guest users to have a different IP address (one of the other 5). If there's a better way then please advise as it's all a bit confusing!!

More
13 Feb 2021 14:25 #4 by piste basher
I suspect that your 5 WAN IPs are sequential - e.g. mine from ZEN are - so anyone who knows one of them would easily be able to check out the others.

If you are saying that anyone who knows your WAN IP address can access parts of your network that you don't want them to then I suggest you have bigger problems than your guests to worry about..... :o

Isn't what you want the complete isolation of your guest LAN from your "computer" LAN ? As e.g. here https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wireless-guestnetwork

If you're wondering what to do with the additional WAN IPs, one use is to e.g. provide external access to specific devices - such as an IP Camera, or a server - via their own WAN IP addresses.

e.g. https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-nat-wanipalias

• markhad
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2021 15:25 #5 by markhad
Replied by markhad on topic Re: Multi IP single router
So a folder on the website has an htacess with deny all but allow a certain IP address. It means you can only access the folder if you come from a certain ip. Knowing it is not enough, your connection must come from it.

More
13 Feb 2021 16:35 #6 by piste basher
Ah OK, so you probably want something like this

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_setup_address_mapping.html

other articles are available....

(and maybe this can also/now be set up via the "Routing/Load Balancing" dialogue, as that is an old article?)