Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862ac and Disney+

• artifice
  • Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2021 18:18 #1 by artifice
2862ac and Disney+ was created by artifice
Hello,

I have a Vigor2862ac with 3.9.4.1_BT firmware connected to a VDSL connection. I am using google DNS and I don’t use a VPN.

I am trying to access Disney+: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/login

It is blocked on all devices if i try to connect through the 2862ac, either with a wired or Wi-Fi connection, but connecting with my iPhone via 4G works fine. Disney+ is the only website/service I am having problems with. However, I can access: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb but the login page is blocked on all devices, including my Apple TV.

It seems to be a common problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/dwc6y7/if_you_are_not_able_or_no_longer_able_to_login_to/

It was working fine since December until a few days ago, the only recent change i made was changing the modem code from AnnexA_779517_773F01 to AnnexA_77B507_775401 as my line is more stable with the alternative instead of the default. I tried changing it back, but it didn’t help.

The reason I am asking on the DrayTek forum is because I thought there might be a setting on the router that might be interfering with the Disney+ service. I can't find any solutions, but i wanted to make sure the router was not the problem before i ask my ISP.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Mar 2021 01:06 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2862ac and Disney+

Artifice wrote:
I am trying to access Disney+: https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb/login

It is blocked on all devices if i try to connect through the 2862ac

Blocked, in what way?

(Needless to say, I can connect to it ... )

This could be almost anything ... from a Browser plugin, to a Routing problem with your ISP and everything in between :?

Like you, I found plenty of references to similar issues, on the web.

Personally, I would start with their "Live Chat" : https://help.disneyplus.com/csp

• artifice
  • Topic Author
More
13 Mar 2021 15:10 #3 by artifice
Replied by artifice on topic Re: 2862ac and Disney+
Thank you for your reply.

I can not login to Disney+ on any device connected to my router. I have tried their live chat twice thinking maybe my IP was blocked, but it is not according to them. Now i am going to contact my ISP. I just wanted to make sure it was not related to my router, but since everything else is working fine except Disney+ then it might be my ISP.

I use Disney+ with my Apple TV and i get an error 73 code which is caused by using a VPN, but i don't use one. On my PC i have tried disabling all plugins and tried different browsers, but i still receive the same blank login page.

• artifice
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2021 18:06 #4 by artifice
I contacted my ISP(Aquiss) and they they confirmed they are not blocking Disney+.

I contacted Disney+ via Live Chat 5 times and they tried everything they could think of and confirmed no blocks on my IP or account.

Which makes me think that the router is the problem, but the only recent change i made was to the modem code and i wouldn't have thought that would be a problem, as i have used both 779517 and 77B507(line is more stable) and Disney+ has been working fine in the past with either.

There must be something on router blocking the service. I will have to look at firewall or VPN settings. Most of the settings were left on default since i bought the router last year. Disney+ error code 73 is caused by using a VPN, but i don't use one.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be much appreciated, thank you.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
14 Mar 2021 19:26 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2862ac and Disney+
'Tis indeed a Mickey Mouse implementation, that Disney have put together :roll:

Reading through the multitude of resources, that have sprung up on the Web to deal with this issue - it seems the general approach is to resort to Witchcraft :roll:

We could try something a little more systematic :wink:
You said:

It is blocked on all devices if I try to connect through the 2862ac, either with a wired or Wi-Fi connection, but connecting with my iPhone via 4G works fine.

So at the very least, we know that the Iphone's Browser works with this site and that its network connection works. So - as you suggest - something related to your Broadband then.

Some guesses at to what it might be ...

• Something about your IP address or 'deemed location', derived from it. (Disney say not...)

• Routing.

• MTU

• Firewalling

What does the Router MTU Discovery function say for "95.101.19.217" (That is the IP address that www.disneyplus.com currently resolves to for me). I get 1492 as the answer, which is what my Router is set to.

What do you get , if you ping or tracert "www.disneyplus.com".
I get:
Code:
D:\>ping www.disneyplus.com Pinging e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net [95.101.19.217] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 95.101.19.217: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59 Reply from 95.101.19.217: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59

and
Code:
D:\>tracert www.disneyplus.com Tracing route to e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net [95.101.19.217] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms somenode.somesubdomain.maindomain.com [192.168.100.254] ...Zen Internet stuff... 6 20 ms 21 ms 17 ms lonap.netarch.akamai.com [5.57.80.72] 7 20 ms 14 ms 17 ms a95-101-19-217.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [95.101.19.217] Trace complete.

From my phone, I get something similar (but hops 1-5 are via Sky).

You could try setting up your Iphone as a Hotspot, and using the 2862's Wireless WAN functionality to connect to the internet that way.

You could use the Browser's Developer Options (or 'curl' ) to examine what data is actually being returned by the website (if any). (Just because the browser outputs a blank page, doesn't necessarily mean it received nothing).

...and there's always Wireshark :cry:

• artifice
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2021 19:41 #6 by artifice

hornbyp wrote:
'Tis indeed a Mickey Mouse implementation, that Disney have put together :roll:

Reading through the multitude of resources, that have sprung up on the Web to deal with this issue - it seems the general approach is to resort to Witchcraft :roll:

We could try something a little more systematic :wink:
You said:

It is blocked on all devices if I try to connect through the 2862ac, either with a wired or Wi-Fi connection, but connecting with my iPhone via 4G works fine.

So at the very least, we know that the Iphone's Browser works with this site and that its network connection works. So - as you suggest - something related to your Broadband then.

Some guesses at to what it might be ...

• Something about your IP address or 'deemed location', derived from it. (Disney say not...)

• Routing.

• MTU

• Firewalling

What does the Router MTU Discovery function say for "95.101.19.217" (That is the IP address that www.disneyplus.com currently resolves to for me). I get 1492 as the answer, which is what my Router is set to.

What do you get , if you ping or tracert "www.disneyplus.com".
I get:
Code:
D:\>ping www.disneyplus.com Pinging e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net [95.101.19.217] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 95.101.19.217: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59 Reply from 95.101.19.217: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=59

and
Code:
D:\>tracert www.disneyplus.com Tracing route to e14245.dscb.akamaiedge.net [95.101.19.217] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms somenode.somesubdomain.maindomain.com [192.168.100.254] ...Zen Internet stuff... 6 20 ms 21 ms 17 ms lonap.netarch.akamai.com [5.57.80.72] 7 20 ms 14 ms 17 ms a95-101-19-217.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [95.101.19.217] Trace complete.

From my phone, I get something similar (but hops 1-5 are via Sky).

You could try setting up your Iphone as a Hotspot, and using the 2862's Wireless WAN functionality to connect to the internet that way.

You could use the Browser's Developer Options (or 'curl' ) to examine what data is actually being returned by the website (if any). (Just because the browser outputs a blank page, doesn't necessarily mean it received nothing).

...and there's always Wireshark :cry:

Thank you for trying to help, it is much appreciated.

I finally found the problem, it turned out to be "Enable Strict Security Firewall" on the router.

I have never had issue with this setting in the past. If i disable it then i can login to Disney on all devices and then enable it again.