DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2927 - Dashboard refreshes every six seconds

More
12 Apr 2021 15:10 #1 by malf
Hello,

we've been using the DrayTek Vigor2927 for a few weeks now and we're pretty happy with it. Unfortunately since a few days when I'm entering the dashboard (via Chrome with the standard IP 192.168.1.1) the whole dashboard refreshes itself every six seconds. Earlier this has been only the case for the top "graphic element" that shows the status LEDs and the WAN/LAN Ports but now it refreshes the whole site which is as you might think by yourself quite annoying. I'm not aware that any change to the setup were made that could have cause this issue and beforehand everything has worked fine. It's pretty strange because sometimes it only refreshes the top part sometimes the whole site. Several reboots didn't solved the problem. Does anybody has an idea what I could do to prevent the reload? Thank you for your help!

- Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2021 01:41 #2 by hornbyp
You don't have any 'fancy' Chrome-extensions that could be responsible, I take it? (I think 'incognito mode' automatically disables them, so might be a quick way to check)
(I did find an extension for disabling other extensions :roll: ...

AIUI, a Web Browser normally reloads a Web Page because it has been 'told to' - in other words, some 'Header', "META" tag, or embedded Javascript in the last loaded page specifies that it should do so.

So if that is the reason, the Vigor 2927 must be doing it on purpose, and one would expect to find a setting to control/disable it.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2021 01:53 #3 by hornbyp
Page 28 of the manual says:-

https wrote: I-5-1 Virtual Panel
On the top of the Dashboard, a virtual panel (simulating the physical panel of the router)
displays the physical interface connection. It will be refreshed every five seconds. When you
move and click the mouse cursor on LEDs (except ACT), USB ports, WAN2/P6, or LAN1 – LAN5
(P1~P5), related web setting page will be open for you to configure if required

:)

More
13 Apr 2021 08:11 #4 by piste basher
I have a 2927 and am unable to tell if the virtual panel is refreshing itself every five seconds - the "ACT" LED flashes about every two seconds, the various "clocks" tick over every second. I'm using Chrome on Win 10.

Haven't seen the odd behaviour you describe.

More
13 Apr 2021 10:49 #5 by malf

hornbyp wrote:
You don't have any 'fancy' Chrome-extensions that could be responsible, I take it? (I think 'incognito mode' automatically disables them, so might be a quick way to check)
(I did find an extension for disabling other extensions :roll: ...

AIUI, a Web Browser normally reloads a Web Page because it has been 'told to' - in other words, some 'Header', "META" tag, or embedded Javascript in the last loaded page specifies that it should do so.

So if that is the reason, the Vigor 2927 must be doing it on purpose, and one would expect to find a setting to control/disable it.

I tried several browsers like chrome incognito, safari and I've even tried chrome on my android but everywhere the same issue occurs.

hornbyp wrote:
Page 28 of the manual says:-

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2927/send/896-vigor-2927/2059-ug-v2927-v10 wrote: I-5-1 Virtual Panel
On the top of the Dashboard, a virtual panel (simulating the physical panel of the router)
displays the physical interface connection. It will be refreshed every five seconds. When you
move and click the mouse cursor on LEDs (except ACT), USB ports, WAN2/P6, or LAN1 – LAN5
(P1~P5), related web setting page will be open for you to configure if required

:)

I'm aware of this as I already grinded through the manual. It seems like something is telling the interface to not only refresh the top part but the whole site. It's pretty strange as it does not occur in a pattern. For one day everything is fine, the other it's not, then for some hours it's working, for some hours it's not...it's pretty strange. It seems to be very random. I need to get to the part where the system is told to reload the virtual panel every 5-6 seconds because something seems to be broken there.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2021 14:27 #6 by hornbyp
Since my 2860n appears to use exactly the same mechanism for refreshing the 'dashboard', I thought I'd have a little play.

The way it works - which is probably what you'd expect - is that the Browser makes periodic requests to the Vigor, for the raw data to be inserted into the Web Page (i.e. it doesn't request an entire page/frame, just the 'numbers'). If that data came back corrupt - somehow - you could imagine the javascript in the Browser deciding to 'reset' and re-paint the whole page.

It's hard to imagine what would 'corrupt' the 2927's o/p ... unless you have one the more paranoid 'Security/Antivirus tools' in use.
What does it do, if you access the Vigor via HTTPS:// ? (which ought to stop any intermediary messing with the o/p)

This could well just be a straight-forward bug :cry:

(It's quite amusing watching the Vigor 2860 in action ... it periodically invokes "http://myrouter/dashbctl.cgi?someparams" - which returns some sensible data in JSON format. It also accesses "http://myrouter/doc/dashbGet.htm", which returns a huge splurge of plain-text. The header says it's "Text/HTML", but it's not; it's devoid of any markup. This data appears to be discarded - though it's hard to tell, if any part of it gets used. It's certainly malformed!) :cry: