Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862n refuses to reset to factory settings

• Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
06 Jun 2021 21:39 #1 by 38911
hi - hope this is the right place for this query

We had a contract with a comms company expire, and a couple of years ago they supplied a 2862n with their broadband but we never used it as we had an existing watchguard doing the work. The brand new router was put into a cupboard and forgot about, until recently when I was clearing out some cupboards. I made some enquiries and was allowed to keep it - Trouble is, no matter what I do, TFTP upload of a .rst firmware, holding in reset button until act light flickers, it always goes back to the original supplied-with settings, not the defaults - and I can't login.

I have connected into the unit via 3.3v serial and the only clues I can find within the bootlog is

Line 550: !!!Router config may be a newer one, so write back to flash & reboot!!!
Line 552: ## Drv software rebooting : cmd=0, fun=detect_newer_config, line=671 ##
Line 672: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 03-01]), reconfiguring
Line 672: bridge configuration invalid ([bus 03-01]), reconfiguring
Line 752: [PHY_ConfigTXPwrTrackingWithParaFile]
Line 755: [HA] Detected unknown Dray HA config version (00000104)! Prepare to convert ...

The 2862n appears to be unused, has the plastic protective covers and would be a far better unit than the BT thing I have.

Is it buggered or is there something else I can do to reset it to defaults? Can the CFE be accessed to maybe clear the settings? Is it now a paperweight? Hope not!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• e.ringrose
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2021 11:25 #2 by e.ringrose
Replied by e.ringrose on topic Re: 2862n refuses to reset to factory settings
Possibly an OEM supplied device. These have a default configuration I believe so despite all the normal recovery methods you may be fighting a losing battle.

May be worth confirming this with DrayTek with the serial number.

Maybe there is a jumper (remember these) on the board itself ?

If there is a method of recovering it would be good to post it though.

• Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
07 Jun 2021 17:01 #3 by 38911
I refuse to throw it away as that is wasteful, and very bad to the environment.

There is a small area of the eeprom that needs to be wiped, so will investigate and if successful then will post the solution here.

No manufacturer of these products should ever render them landfill for no reason whatsoever.

More
11 Jun 2021 08:23 #4 by admin
I doesn't have to be landfill; you can return it to DrayTek for recycling. If it was preset for the ISP then the ISP probably still owns it too.

Forum Administrator

• Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
11 Jun 2021 09:18 #5 by 38911
We were invoiced for it, so it was owned by us.

Awaiting a jtag interface to hopefully get some use from it.

More
16 Jun 2021 04:32 #6 by admin
Well, if you can prove that to the service centre then MAYBE they can reconfigure it to a standard retail product (for a fee, I'd expect).

Forum Administrator