2962 or 3910 (or something else?) for BT PPPOE 900/110 fttp

• keithop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Sep 2021 12:33 #1 by keithop
Hi all

I have a BT fttp 900/110 connection... works great with the bt hub but I'd like to go back to something with more configurability and have used drayteks for ages on slower links.

the 2962 looks right sized (and the 3910 perhaps overkill) but I've read quite a lot of posts on here saying this generation of draytek can be quite unstable so I was just wondering if 2962/3910 are now stable now that they've been out a while with a few firmware updates?

I won't be using THAT many features, ipsec vpn but no HA or other advanced stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2021 09:49 #2 by rolandrat
Ive had a 3910 since day 1 and yes it was a pile of unstable **** at the start.
Move forward over a year and it is totally fine for my use, which are a BT FTTP 900/110 and a Cityfibre 900/900 FTTP - I use the Globalview (paid license), I use a permanent Nord VPN connection using route policies to send some devices to that connection.
I also have VPN in for when im out and about (not that often but always works fine).
I use various route policies via ports, IP and domain name.
I feed my home lan from one of the 10Gbe ports via DAC cable, I use one of the 2.5Gbe ports to mirror traffic to some Internet monitoring software I have via USB-C to LAN 2.5Gbe adapter.
It uses session based load balancing and I can get full 1850Mbps speed on most multi session connections and it hardly breaks a sweat.
Current uptime is 785 hours, which would probably be when I had my electrics off last month I guess.

• keithop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2021 11:45 #3 by keithop
Really appreciate your reply many thanks for that!

It's a decent chunk of cash for a home router so I just wanted to make doubly sure that it would deal with the 900/110 at full line speed which is sounds like it will easily do

It's fine reading specs but it's no substitute for talking to someone who's actually got it working :)

Is the gui still nice and responsive under load?

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2021 11:58 #4 by rolandrat
The only time I had GUI problems was right at the start, like I said when the firmware was terrible.
It suffered from what appeared to be some sort of broadcast storm, which im convinced was caused by all the Sky Q boxes in the house, but anyway dont get anything like that anymore and gui is always working and snappy.
Theyve just released a 1000B which appears to be the same as 3910 but without the 2.5Gbe ports (seems a strange thing to do to save a few quid).
With my two connections and at the time it was the only thing really out there with 10Gbe, even now there isnt much else, and having Drayteks over the years and always been impressed with the Globalview web filtering it was a no brainer, albeit expensive at the time.

• keithop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2021 12:10 #5 by keithop
yeah there were definitely broadcast storms with sky Q, I think it was fixed around the 160 update time. Still, you'd hope a router would be able to deal with it.

I've "only" got 900/110 so nowhere near your throughput but still with cisco licensing going from silly to insane, I just can't justify it for home use and I've always liked draytek

I'll have to investigate 10gbe switches next I guess :)

• keithop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Sep 2021 12:34 #6 by keithop
oh also wanted to ask, what DAC cable are you using? I know compatibility depends on both ends but it would be useful to know which one works for draytek at least