Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+ subnet question

• siroccoboy
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2022 13:59 #1 by siroccoboy
2860n+ subnet question was created by siroccoboy
Hi,
I am would like to set up my 2860n+ in such a way that each of the 6 ports is linked to a separate LAN, (ie LANs not able to communicate with each other), but they must all have access to the internet thru my ISP using a single WAN address.
At the moment for example, their is a lot of competition for bandwidth between TVs streaming netflix, my WI Fi access points and a CCTV network which all share a single LAN. I am hoping that if I can split them up to use separate LANs each plugged into different ports that there will be less bandwith constraint.
Can this be done? I can find no Draytek examples for the 2860 series.
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2022 15:26 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2860n+ subnet question
Setting up separate LANs would not, in itself, have any effect. It would allow you to recognise different clients and enter their details into "Session Limit/Bandwidth Limit/Q.O.S." as appropriate. That's where you would divvy-up the available bandwidth.

You can probably achieve the same effect using "LAN >> Bind IP to MAC", so that they all have known, fixed IP addresses - on the same LAN. Then you can use those IP addresses, in the aforementioned Bandwidth Management options. (I've only used Q.O.S. on my network - so can't help you with the detail).

Splitting up the network into separate LANs, is more to do with firewalling and/or reducing local, inter-client traffic.

• siroccoboy
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2022 15:38 #3 by siroccoboy
Replied by siroccoboy on topic Re: 2860n+ subnet question
Thanks for the explanation, just to be clear are you saying that even if I piggy backed an additional modem on to my 2860 it still wouldn't increase the available bandwidth? The implication being that it is my ISP (BT) which is the limitation on total bandwidth available?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2022 15:57 #4 by hornbyp
Well, no, I wasn't saying that at all :?

I made the assumption that you are lacking in bandwidth to the Internet and were trying to share out what you've got, more equitably.

• siroccoboy
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2022 16:43 #5 by siroccoboy
Replied by siroccoboy on topic Re: 2860n+ subnet question
Thanks but I'm getting a little confused between internet downstream speed and bandwidth.
If I could get a better downstream speed from my ISP will this give me more bandwidth to divvy up in the modem ?
Sorry if this seems a simple qu. but I'm a learner!

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
20 Jan 2022 17:03 #6 by hornbyp
Going back to your original problem statement :-

At the moment for example, their is a lot of competition for bandwidth between TVs streaming netflix, my WI Fi access points and a CCTV network which all share a single LAN. I am hoping that if I can split them up to use separate LANs each plugged into different ports that there will be less bandwith constraint.

How do you know this is a problem? What are the symptoms ?

Netflix has its own diagnostic built-in. In TV's / Sky box's etc, it can be found in the Netflix App @ "Get Help >> Check my network" (or similar). HD only needs ~ 4Mb/s, but 4K is ~ 25Mbps. (Available on the web too, @ https://fast.com )

So, if you had 2 TV's, both watching 4K Netflix you would need at least a 50Mbps Internet connection. If they were using the same Wifi, there would be every chance of overloading that first (despite what manufacters claim).

The 2860 has diagnostics @ "Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor" that can show you, who is using what. Many Wifi access points have similar functionality.

Wrt your Internet connection, a single fast connection (FTTP/Starlink/Cable etc) is easier to utilise than several slower ones. Possibly cheaper than paying for multiple slow connections too.