DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Assign DNS for individual mac address.

• vigorous2
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2022 14:10 #1 by vigorous2
Assign DNS for individual mac address. was created by vigorous2
Hi is it possible to assign a different DNS server to specific devices based on their MAC address on the Vigor2862? I'm running an internal DNS server and only want a few devices to use it.

I know I could manually setup dns in each device but I'd much rather manage it centrally.

I have tried enabling LAN2 and thought I might be able to use "LAN >> Bind IP to MAC" to assign it an IP address in LAN2's subnet but it always seems to get a LAN1 address from the LAN1 DHCP server.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2022 17:42 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Assign DNS for individual mac address.
That's odd - MAC IP binding to various LANS works fine on my 2927ax. Are you sure you've enabled everything that needs to be enabled?

• vigorous2
  • Topic Author
More
02 Sep 2022 08:30 #3 by vigorous2
Replied by vigorous2 on topic Re: Assign DNS for individual mac address.
Hi, would you mind detailing how you do it?

More
02 Sep 2022 10:32 #4 by piste basher
I may have misunderstood - when you say "IP address from LAN 1" do you mean e.g. a 192.168.1.x address or do you mean a DNS address from that specified for LAN1 ?

If the latter, have you unticked "Force router to use DNS address from LANx...." in the LAN setup page?

• vigorous2
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2022 20:14 #5 by vigorous2
Replied by vigorous2 on topic Re: Assign DNS for individual mac address.
Hi thanks for your help

I had a look at 'Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in' and from what I can see that is for setting the router's DNS settings to an internal DNS.

What I would like is for a specific device (based on it's mac) on my LAN to receive the internal DNS and everything else to receive a public DNS.

From what I can tell I would have to use a specific hardware port on the router or a switch that supports VLAN tags.

More
06 Sep 2022 14:56 #6 by piste basher
Afaik the "force router to use..." setting allows you to set it to use any DNS, internal or external

However, whilst testing this with a device I have on LAN5, with a 192.168.5.x address supposedly bound to its MAC, I set the device to use DHCP, which I hadn't done before. It immediately dropped its LAN5 address and picked up a 192.168.1.x address :shock:

I have inter LAN routing set up between LANS 1 and 5 but my understanding of IP binding was that it should have been assigned an IP in LAN5 based on its MAC address, as that's what I set :?:

Looks like you may have discovered a bug in the IP to MAC binding ..... :roll:

(this is a 2927ax on 4.4.0)