DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

USB WiFi Dongle?

• teithiwr
  • Topic Author
More
08 Jul 2022 17:56 #1 by teithiwr
USB WiFi Dongle? was created by teithiwr
Hi, I've just got a 2927k with the intention of using it to load balance a FTTC connection and a Starlink satellite connection. Getting the satellite installed properly is taking some time and, at the moment, my link to it is using a wifi USB dongle into a pc, connected to its wireless router. I see that the Draytek will accept a 3g/4g/LTE usb dongle but will it take a wifi dongle?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2022 09:37 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: USB WiFi Dongle?
Not sure what you're asking here. Firstly, afaik a 2927k doesn't exist. Not knowing anything about your satellite router, I assume there's a reason for not using a cable connection to the Draytek? If you need to connect via wifi, the 2927ac models have a facility to connect a WAN via a wifi hotspot connection; unfortunately the 2927ax model doesn't.

• teithiwr
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2022 22:57 #3 by teithiwr
Replied by teithiwr on topic Re: USB WiFi Dongle?
I’m just quoting the Draytek models page which says the the wired version is a K. https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2927-series .

It’s the one that I’ve got. When I get the Starlink installed and get an Ethernet adapter, then I’ll be able to have 2 wired wan connections but atm the satellite access is only through its Wi-Fi router. If I want failback or balancing with my fttc connection then a Wi-Fi input into the router seems the only way.

More
10 Jul 2022 07:44 #4 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: USB WiFi Dongle?
I think you'll find the 'K' means its black... You'll note that all 2927 models end with -K. So you have a '2927' that's all.

You'd have been better off getting one with onboard 'ac' WiFi in the first place (as mentioned above) then you'd have been able to do what you're suggesting without requiring any kind of dongle in the first place.

• teithiwr
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2022 17:53 #5 by teithiwr
Replied by teithiwr on topic Re: USB WiFi Dongle?
Probably would have been better with a different model, but I've got what I've got. Still trying to find out whether, with what I've got. it's possible?

More
12 Jul 2022 18:14 #6 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: USB WiFi Dongle?
never heard of someone using a wifi dongle and do not remember seeing any on the support chart so do not think there is any hope. Supported usb 3/4 G dongle and a simcard would work though. Access point that can bridge into wan2 should work as well.

Des Quinn