DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Upgrade/replacement time

More
11 Jan 2023 20:47 #1 by haywardi
Upgrade/replacement time was created by haywardi
Well my exiting router has now turned five (a 2862) and I am looking towards a change for a couple of reasons, not least of which it looks like in the not to distant future in could get fttp with gigabit.

The natural choice for me would be a 2927, but it looks like it could be a bit long in the tooth and maybe replaced soon, but it does meet my existing need.

The alternative is the 2962, which is way more than I currently need, but will clearly be future proof, for me at least, but it's also a lot more expensive. The other consideration is I believe it uses a different UI and I'll have to learn how to configure and assume it will do everything my existing 2862 can do, just faster.

So who has experience and is happy to share their knowledge and experience?

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2023 15:50 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Upgrade/replacement time
What does your current router not do that is triggering an upgrade?

What features do you need from a new router than you currently do not have today?

More
15 Jan 2023 21:40 #3 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Upgrade/replacement time
Not a lot.

I tend to replace every 5 years ish.
One thing that irritates me though is the DSL modern is complete rubbish. Has been since I be originally purchased so I have to use the wan ethernet port. It's not a biggie but it also means I have to manually plug in the backup 4g modern when the primary link falls

Iain

• bookit
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2023 17:41 #4 by bookit
Replied by bookit on topic Re: Upgrade/replacement time
My 2927 has been a nightmare, after many years using DrakTek routers I'm moving to pfsense.

More
02 Feb 2023 14:35 #5 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Upgrade/replacement time
To close this thread off.

I purchased a 2927 as I simply couldn't justify the expense of a 2960.

GLAD I did (one problem aside, for which I am testing a fix) but in a way I had not expected.

Essentially it is equivalent in functional terms as a 2862 except it has no VDSL connection and two wired Wan ports. I re-did the configuration manually to avoid any problems with trying to use the 2862's configuration and plugged it in.

To my surprise I got the configuration right first time!

HOWEVER, what I had NOT expected was the colossal improvement in LAN speeds. Now my setup of far from basic as I operate 4 Vlans with two crossed and the others separate.

And I really do mean colossal improvements. File transfers that took over an hour, now 20 minutes.

So in my situation, the upgrade has proven worthwhile and if you run anything other than a basic 2862 set up, the chances are you will also see the LAN speed improvements.

Iain

More
03 Feb 2023 00:05 #6 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Upgrade/replacement time
Save yourself time, effort and money, and consider a different brand. The support has gone to the dogs and the quality associated with older models is no longer there. Look at the forum here and see for yourself how much bother users have had with some.