Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can only connect 1 PC user to VPN

• redfiveuk
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2010 12:16 #1 by redfiveuk
Can only connect 1 PC user to VPN was created by redfiveuk
Hi,
one of our customers has a draytek VPN router which works fine as long as only one person logs on from our originator IP address (of our router). If a second person within the office tries to use the VPN they cant connect, we are using different VPN log ons. But if I connect from another office or from home then we can have both users logged into the VPN. Can anyone point me to a setting on the draytek router that would allow me to log on from within the office with more than one user.

Regards
Kingsley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2010 12:41 #2 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Can only connect 1 PC user to VPN
Unfortunately this is a pretty fundamental limitation of VPN's where the teleworkers are behind a common router.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• cookhamjames
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 12:48 #3 by cookhamjames
Replied by cookhamjames on topic Can only connect 1 PC user to VPN
So what would be a solution to this? a different vpn solution for remote users?

More
09 Oct 2010 13:09 #4 by njh
Replied by njh on topic Can only connect 1 PC user to VPN
I think OpenVPN gets round this. Some implementations of PPTP VPN can but it is outside the standard and I am not sure if it is a limitation of the router through which the PPTP traffic is passing or the PPTP endpoint (your Draytek).

What are you trying to achieve?

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• cookhamjames
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 13:12 #5 by cookhamjames
thanks for the quick reply. I'm open to new routers or VPN devices etc. cost isn't an issue either.

I'm really trying to acheive the following. Allow remote users who could be at any site in the world to connect to their office via VPN. Sometimes there will be more than one user at the same remote site trying to connect at the same time. An example of this would be two users at an airport waiting to travel back to the UK needed to access the server shared drive at the same time. Only one could connect to the VPN at a time. If the connected user dropped the connection the other user would then connect.

• cookhamjames
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 15:23 #6 by cookhamjames
If i were to get the ADSL supplier to assign more than one IP address to the building could I set different cleints to use different WAN IPs to get around the problem?