DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setup up 2820 to connect to a 3rd party company's VPN servic

• dogmatix
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2010 06:02 #1 by dogmatix
First question, is this even possible?

I live in the UK most of the year but am in New Zealand for a few months and want to keep up with the usual programs via BBC iPlayer (I have a TV license).

Setting up the VPN via the PC is fine however what I want to do is use my Wii to watch the iPlayer on the TV instead. I have not found any VPN options for the Wii and so was wondering if you can use for example the LAN to LAN to connect to a 3rd party VPN service eg www.vpngates.com using my 2820.

If it is possible do I use the LAN to LAN and if so where are the routing options for traffic to and from an IP/subnet down the VPN?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2010 09:06 #2 by j.baker
I do not know about the vpngates service, but it appears that ALLof your internet traffic may be sent via the VPN tunnel. Do you want to do this?
]
If so, the 2820 does support L2TP/IPSEC.

Have a look at:

http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=162

Although it is not 2820 specific it should give you some idea.

Q. You have a ADSL connection in the UK? Is the 28280 connected to this?

What router are you planning on using in NZ?

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

• dogmatix
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2010 21:44 #3 by dogmatix
Thank you for the pointer, I had tried setting up the Lan to Lan using PPTP setting and routing all trafic option and although the VPN appeared active in the Connection Management no traffic seemed to route through it and my IP still appeared as NZ.

I am already in NZ with my 2820 (which is what I am trying to configure), I do however have another 2820 at home the in the UK.

I will continue down the line of the L2TP/IPSEC route and see if I have more joy, thank you.

More
07 Feb 2010 23:06 #4 by j.baker
why not create a ipsec vpn between the two 2820 units? You can route all traffic from the NZ 2820 to the UK 2820. There is a guide on the draytek.com website on how to set this up.

Regards

John Baker

Vigor2820 series with firmware 3.3.5.2_RC2
ADSL

• dogmatix
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2010 02:35 #5 by dogmatix
Finally got it going using PPTP, I had failed to turn on NAT instead of routing in 4. TCP/IP Network Settings.

Thank you for the suggestion of the connecting my two routers, unfortunately I dont think that my upsteam bandwidth was capable at home (I also didnt read your post before I had paid for the VPN!)

• dogmatix
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2010 23:30 #6 by dogmatix
Well new issue has occurred, although the VPN connects and routes traffic down the link it does however have massively throttled downstream bandwidth in comparison to using the PC VPN, but unaffected upstream.

Averages so far

Vigor VPN

Downstream: 0.2 Mbps
Upstream: 0.3 Mbps

PC VPN

Downstream: 2.4 Mbps

_________
(Changed IP settings to 0.0.0.0 in TCP/IP Network Settings & 12 hours later for next set of tests)

Vigor VPN 2

Downstream: 0.9 Mbps

PC VPN 2

Downstream: 2.2 Mbps