Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n No Internet when vpn connected

• valkyrie_9mm
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2010 15:29 #1 by valkyrie_9mm
2820n No Internet when vpn connected was created by valkyrie_9mm
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help as I'm going round in circles trying to find the cause of this problem.

I'm connecting to the network at my workplace through vpn, all connects fine.

To start with I have the 'Use default gateway on remote network' box in the TCP/IP advanced properties ticked. Connecting like this, I can access the internet but I cannot see any of my networks resources.

If I untick this box I lose the internet connection but I can access the network resources.

Every knowledge base I have looked at says to rectify this problem you need to have this box unticked. This appears to be causing my problem!

I'm not sure if it matters but I'm pretty sure the IP of my home router is the same as the LAN IP of the works router, obviously I'm not dialling this IP though.

There are many abbreviations I'm not familiar with in the Draytek Router's configuration pages and am hoping that someone can assist with any changes I need to make on the router (or my home PC) so that I can connect through vpn to the works network, see all the resources and still use my local internet.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cocospm
  • User
  • User
More
22 Oct 2010 16:42 #2 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic 2820n No Internet when vpn connected
Your post is so confused and so lacking in crucial information that it is difficult to understand what you are really doing.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with a DrayTek router, and I don't know what you mean by 'local internet'. There is no such thing.

However, reading between the lines I suspect that your underlying problem is that your home network (using a DrayTek router of some kind?) uses the same subnet as your work's network. For instance, both your home network and your work network use the 192.168.1.x subnet. If so this is an elementary, but sadly all-too-common, mistake made by some corporate IT people who really should know better than to set up a local network on any of 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x.

In your case, the simplest resolution is to change your local network to use something like 192.168.5.x. If you have a Draytek router, this is done via the General Setup page of the LAN section. There, set the (1st) IP address to, say, 192.168.5.1 and change the DHCP start IP address accordingly. Set the default gateway for the router to match the router's own IP address (192.168.5.1 in this example).

After saving the router's configuration (which may require a reboot), reboot your computer(s) too, to ensure they pick up new IP addresses (or perform a 'repair' operation on their connections).

All should then work fine.

More
23 Oct 2010 21:30 #3 by bradley porter
Replied by bradley porter on topic Re: 2820n No Internet when vpn connected
valkyrie_9mm - Out of interest, did the suggestion by cocospm work?

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

• valkyrie_9mm
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2010 13:27 #4 by valkyrie_9mm
Replied by valkyrie_9mm on topic 2820n No Internet when vpn connected
Just had chance to check the reply.

I'll look at the router today as yes I think both networks are on the same range.

My apologies if my wording is incorrect or I confused you, but I am not a corporate IT administrator.

Cheers

• valkyrie_9mm
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2010 09:37 #5 by valkyrie_9mm
Replied by valkyrie_9mm on topic 2820n No Internet when vpn connected
Changing the IP address on the router seems to have resolved my issues.

Thanks for the help.

More
22 Jan 2011 14:52 #6 by force44
Replied by force44 on topic 2820n No Internet when vpn connected
I have a similar problem with teleworker vpn setup using a 2820. In that when the VPN is connected Internet access appears to be being routed down it and a simple internet speed tests for example drop from 4mbps to 1mbps.

with the vpn connected thenetwork icon the systray shows
= 'my wireless' - 'no internet access'
= vpn network - 'internet access'

as soon as the vpn is disconnected the internet access is local again and performance returns.

ip ranges are;
local wireless 192.168.24.0/24
vpn destination network 192.168.50.0/24
using pptp with ms chap auth

connectivity to hosts on the vpn network is fine otherwise.
I would has assumed only traffic for the 192.168.50.x network would be sent down the vpn?

Garry