DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

setup vpn for remote dial in worker & dyndns: vigor 2830n

• tester2830n
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2011 15:54 #1 by tester2830n
Can someone provide a guide to setup vpn on vigor 2830n. I have no success. I have been following these two documentations on the internet:

http://www.draytek.com/.upload/support/Application/vpn/X.509/pdf/2.2_Smart_VPN_client_setup.pdf
http://www.equinux.com/cms_components/media/vpnt/VPNT_Interop_Howtos/1093/DrayTek-RemoteDialInUserProfile-6-EN.pdf

I am not an expert in VPN and have knowledge about Networking.

This is what I want to do:

1) I have a dyndns account. This is setup in the vigor 2830n router. I checked the status on the router, it says successful for dyndns.

2) I need to remote desktop into my windows server machine sitting in local ip address using My_account.dyndns.org via VPN IPSec tunnelling.

In the vigor 2830n, each Lan1, Lan2, Lan3, Lan4 are labelled as separate subnet. If I hookup my windows server on lan2, local ip/subnet as follows

192.168.3.1/255.255.255.0

If I set the windows server on lan2, then for example, do I set the static ip address to 192.168.3.200 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. The default gateway for this subnet is 192.168.3.1?

Can someone tell me what I need to setup to get dyndns vpn to work:

1) Peer ID
2) Pre-shared key
3) Lan IP Address
4) Lan Subnet Address
5) Lan Network Address

I have set the smart vpn client on my laptop, but the client says I am connected but on the router there is connection listed. When I ping my My_Account.dyndns.org, it gets timed out and I never get "Negotiating IPSec Security". I have spent bit of time. No avail. Please help. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2011 21:24 #2 by nobody
If you are new to the Router and VPN, first, make things simpler.
- deactivate the VLAN feature, if you dont need it. Then all 4 ports on the switch are one subnet, or, only use one port of the router
- try PPtP VPN first and if this is working, then setup an IPSec VPN or x.509 (certificate based) VPN
- If you have setup your dyndns account sucessful in the router, you should be able to reach the router from the outside under the given dyndns name. To test this, set a safe passwor for the admin user, and, under System maintenance, enable "allow management from the internet", check http and https, uncheck "disable ping from the Internet".

Now, go somewhere else, and surf to the dyndns name. If your dyndns account is really setup sucessful you should be able to login to the admin page of the router. If this is ok, then try to setup the PPtP VPN. And, if this is ok, try to setup the IPSec VPN.
(dont try the VPN from a location inside your network, this will not work in most cases)

• tester2830n
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2011 14:06 #3 by tester2830n
I have tried what you have suggested. PPtP VPN is not working. I am kind of stuck here.

• tester2830n
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2011 18:38 #4 by tester2830n
I am getting this error for PPtP VPN:

local computer does not support encryption.

What does this mean, Local computer does not support encryption? I am connecting from My Laptop(Windows 7 Professional) to my home windows server (windows Server 2008). Does this mean my laptop does not support encryption or home windows server 2008 does not support encryption?

More
01 May 2011 19:34 #5 by nobody
I thought, you want to establish a VPN connection between a PC and the Vigor Router ?
Now, you say you try a VPN to your windows server ?
Endpoint of the VPN has to be your windows server or the draytek router, but, not both. If you want to use the Windows server for VPN, you need no VPN enabled router at all, just a device which is able to passthrough VPN traffic.

Do you want to use the Vigor Routers VPN capabilities or the Windows Server ?

• tester2830n
  • Topic Author
More
02 May 2011 12:08 #6 by tester2830n

nobody wrote: I thought, you want to establish a VPN connection between a PC and the Vigor Router ?
Now, you say you try a VPN to your windows server ?
Endpoint of the VPN has to be your windows server or the draytek router, but, not both. If you want to use the Windows server for VPN, you need no VPN enabled router at all, just a device which is able to passthrough VPN traffic.

Do you want to use the Vigor Routers VPN capabilities or the Windows Server ?

Let say I want to use the Vigor Routers VPN capabilites. Why would I get this error:

I am getting this error for PPtP VPN:

local computer does not support encryption.