Poor Reliability of Site to Site VPN on Vigor 2830Vn

• steve_london
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
31 May 2011 22:40 #1 by steve_london
Hi,

Having real problems getting the Vigor 2830Vn site to site VPN to work reliabily. In fact I am really disappointed by the quality of the Vigor, especially the firmware which is just not stable in my oppinion.

I have two servers, on ip addresses 192.168.10.1 and 192.168.11.1, both subnets 255.255.255.0. I have a Vigor 2830Vn at one end address 192.168.10.254 and a Netgear 834G at the other. The Vigor replaced another Netgear 834G. The VPN using both NetGear routers was stable with <5% downtime over ASDSL.... which was truly amazing. But clearly the ability to configure firewall rules, routing and VLANS was limited, hence the need to test the Vigor 2830.

I have the Vigor configured now, after many reboots and a total reload of the Firmware because a restore from backup totally broke the router (as I said I think the firmware is poor). I have the VPN sort of working now. Basically the two routers connect to each other. I have access the remote server from the local LAN, all good. Then as soon as I view a web page, i.e. something external to either network I can no longer access servers on the remote VPN..... I can still view the router config pages and the Vigor reports that the VPN connection is still up, I can just not access any remote network devices.

If I reboot the router and try again I can access the remote servers again, until a website is viewed and once again the VPN stops working.

The connection settings are taken from the the Vigor VPN to NetGear FAQ downloaded from this website and I am using IPSec. But I am confident that this is working because I would expect not to be able to see the remote router. So wondering am I missing a trick or something?

Thanks
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2011 09:51 #2 by admin
You didn't say what firmware you're running, so check you have the latest.

(Why do people refer to firmware but then fail to state which they're using... Grrrrr ! :-) )

Forum Administrator

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
01 Jun 2011 10:31 #3 by nealuk

admin wrote: You didn't say what firmware you're running, so check you have the latest.

(Why do people refer to firmware but then fail to state which they're using... Grrrrr ! :-) )

Perhaps the forum layout could be expanded to include a box "Firmware In Use" ?

I agree, it is hard to help people who don't specify the version they are using. Further, many people could find the question already answered if they used Search.

Some more details on the kind of VPN ( IPsec, DES etc. ) would help a lot too.

More
01 Jun 2011 10:52 #4 by admin
If it was in the forum layout, people who enter it sometimes, bs but then not update it regularly enough. The wrong info is worse than no info. Besides, they might have lots of products.

Forum Administrator

• johntankard
  • User
  • User
More
16 Sep 2011 19:03 #5 by johntankard
Hi Steve,

I am having this exact issue, poor vpn stability with a 2830N PLUS at the main office and 2820's at remote offices, the IP SEC VPN is very unstable. I get 1 > 2 hrs max and then it falls over. Draytek are looking into this for me currently. I never had this issue when the main office was also using a 2820. The problems only started when using the 30, also I have noted I can not even establish a PPTP VPN from a 2820 to a 2830, it just wont sync up.

John

More
22 Sep 2011 17:17 #6 by mattrudgley
hi Just wanted to mention that I'm having the exact same problem. 5 sites with 2820's, 1 site with 2830n+ and HQ with cyberguard firewall (yuk!). 2820's dial into cyberguard fine never missing a beat but the 2830 gets 10 - 15 mins of up time then drops. Any help would be hugely appreciated!