Lan2Lan vpn pptp from 2800vg to 2830n

• kiweegie
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2012 19:29 #1 by kiweegie
Lan2Lan vpn pptp from 2800vg to 2830n was created by kiweegie
HI all

Followed how to on Draytek site for generic lan to lan setup using PPTP

I wish to use the 2830n as server and 2800vg as client. I've been over and over settings and nothing seems to work, can't ping the server network from client router or pc.

2830n
profile name = vpn server, enabled
Call direction = Dial-in, Idle timeout = 0 seconds
Dial-in settings = allowed dial in type PPTP, username/password added, specify remote vpn gateway checked -
Code:
Question: Can I use DDNS here and if so add to server IP box or Peer ID? IP box does not permit more than 16 characters.

TCP/IP settings WAN and remote gateway = 0.0.0.0, remote ip 10.1.1.0, subnet = 255.255.255.0

Question: Does Local network and subnet need to be complete here or left as 0.0.0.0

2800VG
profile name = vpn client, enabled
Call direction = Dial-out
Dial-out settings = type of server = PPTP, username/password added, server IP = DDNS of remote server-
Code:
Question: Can I use DDNS here or do I need static IP?

TCP/IP settings WAN and remote gateway = 0.0.0.0, remote ip 192.168.1.0, subnet = 255.255.255.0

The PPTP setup seems straight forward but for some reason still fails so I'm missing something which has not explicitly been stated or perhaps the combination of older and newer Draytek models is the problem. Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kiweegie
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2012 19:57 #2 by kiweegie
Replied by kiweegie on topic Re: Lan2Lan vpn pptp from 2800vg to 2830n
Just for reference here is the how-to guide from the draytek site I've been working from:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vpn_setup.html

• kiweegie
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2012 11:06 #3 by kiweegie
An update on this:

I've upgraded the 2800VG to latest firmware (2.8.2), I've tried amending from network IP (10.1.1.0/192.168.1.0) to the router addresses (10.1.1.1/192.168.1.1) respectively. No change.

Tried using the current public facing IP address instead of DDNS name - no change.

I've reentered the username and password several times but nothing I do seems to get this working. I'm as yet unsure if issue is at the 2800VG or 2830N end.

I've enabled Syslog on the dial out end (2800VG) and entry I get keeps showing:

CHAP Login Failed (VPN-0, ) -

This would indicate a username or password mismatch but as stated earlier I'm positive this is being entered correctly on both ends. Anything else I can do to remedy this?

Regards,

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
08 May 2012 12:01 #4 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Lan2Lan vpn pptp from 2800vg to 2830n
Have you got the Peer ID's empty? Also, I think I've seen somewhere before on the forum that the VPN is temperamental on the 2830, and Support have a beta firmware which resolves this.

Best regards, Neal

• kiweegie
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2012 15:53 #5 by kiweegie
Hi Neal

thanks for the reply. Yes the peer id is empty. Currently running version 3.3.6.1_232201 on the 2830n.

I no longer have physical access to the router (it is now in NZ) so don't have a guaranteed way of verifying if its dual or single bandl. Waiting for feedback from the remote office to confirm that before I upgrade firmware.

Bit disappointing that in such a high end piece of kit (and price to go with) that the VPN does not work as advertised, but I guess there you go.

Appreciate the suggestions though,

Cheers, Tom

• nealuk
  • User
  • User
More
08 May 2012 17:47 #6 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Lan2Lan vpn pptp from 2800vg to 2830n
Is there a possibility to try IPsec ?