DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3300 to 3300 VPN forward all traffic

• telis
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2012 17:17 #1 by telis
Hi,

How do I set up a 3300 to forward all traffic (i.e. even internet bound traffic) to another 3300?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 12:55 #2 by blackhat72
Replied by blackhat72 on topic Re: 3300 to 3300 VPN forward all traffic
Good question..

What exactly do you want to do this for?

what is the purpose of setting up a vpn tunnel between two 3300's and forwarding traffic from 1 network to another?

Please explain ?

BH.

Technical Consultant.

www.fahrenheit-it.com

• telis
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2012 13:59 #3 by telis
Replied by telis on topic Re: 3300 to 3300 VPN forward all traffic
In this case the network the leased line on one of the 3300's is connected to (who is our customer) has core routing issues. The other 3300 belongs to us. Obviously the issue has been reported to the leased line provider. It may have since been resolved, I am not in the office at present.

However there are other reasons you might do this. Most likely to have all Internet traffic concentrated at a central site for firewalling and access filtering in one place.

All the 2xxx routers seem to offer the feature. I tried to make it work with a static route, but to no avail.

• telis
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2012 14:02 #4 by telis
So make that clearer, I wanted to route all traffic from our clients 3300 to our 3300 to avoid the core routing issue. They can route to us but not to some places in Europe.

More
10 May 2012 15:34 #5 by blackhat72
Replied by blackhat72 on topic Re: 3300 to 3300 VPN forward all traffic
HI Telis.

I dont believe what you're trying to do will work.

If you were to change the default gw on the customers 3300 to point to your local endpoint IP, that would cause the tunnel to collapse as you're removing the ability to route traffic and facilitiate any vpn tunnels over a connection. Such a routing change/capability would have to be handed at the customers end on their routing device [ cisco router ?] which would use a protocol called BGP and OSPF. These are core networking protocols.. Your customers provider (if they're any good ) would have provisioned diverse routes on site unless your customer decided not to pay for this, the ISP/provider should/may also have peering arrangements with other Tier1/2 ISP's to allow /circumvent routing issues with transit ISP links.. I've had first hand experience of this when I worked for a telcom

I believe the feature you're talking about is for dial in users to route all traffic, ie road warriors and not lan-to-lan connections.. If you're talking about something else then let me know.

Dan

Technical Consultant.

www.fahrenheit-it.com

• telis
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2012 17:18 #6 by telis
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You seem not to have understood me. I know that all traffic can be routed over the VPN because it is supported by the 2xxx vigor routers. See here - http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=187

Obviously if the customer had elected for redundancy I wouldn't have this problem.