• mike jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Aug 2015 11:51 #1 by mike jackson
Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10 was created by mike jackson
Hi everyone.

I have a Dell Latitude E6540 laptop. I work remotely from my office during the week connecting each evening via VPN (using L2TP/IPsec) to initiate a backup of my data to my Synology drive located in my home office. This setup has been working fine for the past several months with no issues.

On July 29th I got a little swept away by all the hype and I updated the laptop to Windows 10. Since then the laptop fails to initiate a VPN connection back to the Draytek 2860 each time. I have checked, rechecked and setup the VPN connection from scratch so many times I have lost count. The error I get is

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer".

I have factory reset the laptop in effect having a clean install of Windows 10 to rule out problems with the upgrade process but I still get the same error.

My wife's laptop has also been updated to Windows 10 and I have setup a VPN connection on that to establish whether the problem is localised with my laptop or a wider Windows 10 issue. This computer also fails to establish a connection with the same error.

I have tried setting up a VPN using PPTP and this doesn't work either giving an error of

"The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted. This can be caused by a problem in the VPN transmission and is commonly the result of internet latency or simply that your VPN server has reached capacity. If this problem persists, contact the VPN administrator and analyze quality of network connectivity".

I don't think the issue is with the Draytek 2860 as Windows would suggest as the laptop my client has issued to me running windows 7 can establish a connection along with my iPad running iOS 9 beta and my Android phone.

The Draytek 2860 is running the latest 3.7.8.3 firmware.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with Windows 10 and Draytek hardware. Has something changed in Windows 10 that causes an issue with the Draytek inbuilt VPN server?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2015 20:29 #2 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10
I've got it working with Win10 on my laptop but not with PPTP, it works with L2TP with IPSec through so I'm happy.

Here are my settings if you'd like to try them :D http://imgur.com/a/GUDrn

I think that it's more likely to be windows 10 bugs, my laptop was pretty stable on win8.1, now odd things are happening all over the place and the UI doesn't work very well

More
07 Aug 2015 15:15 #3 by osavdraytek
Replied by osavdraytek on topic Re: Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10
I have successfully initiated a PPTP connection from Windows 10 but:

1) Every time I start the smart VPN client it prompts me to install vppp.sys, despite saying yes the previous time.

2) SSL VPN is greyed out.

I have lodged a technical post with the support desk.

• johntankard
  • User
  • User
More
09 Aug 2015 22:35 #4 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Re: Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10

OSAVDraytek wrote: I have successfully initiated a PPTP connection from Windows 10 but:

1) Every time I start the smart VPN client it prompts me to install vppp.sys, despite saying yes the previous time.

2) SSL VPN is greyed out.

I have lodged a technical post with the support desk.

Hi OSAVDraytek,

I too am having these issues on Windows 10, I just got everything VPN'wise working on Windows 7, upgraded to 10 and now SmartVPN issues as described. I hope Draytek are upgrading their SmartVPN software for Windows 10.... I would be keen to hear their reply when you get one....

John

• johntankard
  • User
  • User
More
04 Oct 2015 02:57 #5 by johntankard
Replied by johntankard on topic Re: Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10
New Smart VPn software released, now SSL VPN is available under windows 10 but >>>> http://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20466

John

More
14 Oct 2015 09:42 #6 by gbrown100
Replied by gbrown100 on topic Re: Draytek 2860 VPN & Windows 10
Lucky you, I raised a ticket and got told it is already compatible despite my protestations otherwise. I get the same nonsense about the VPPP.sys, tried running the drive install in compatibility, administrator etc etc

I wonder where this compatible version is released? It's not on Draytek UK website.

Graham