2860 SSL Tunnels newbie questions

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2017 12:15 #1 by gary.lane
2860 SSL Tunnels newbie questions was created by gary.lane
I want to disable my PPTP VPN and replace with an SSL Tunnel. I have set this up on the 2860, created my user and installed SmartVPN client on my remote machine. I can connect perfectly using SmartVPN and the remote client gets assigned the specified IP. However, it cannot access any of the remote network resources. The SmartVPN client is not seen as being on the same network as the router which is what I get when I connect with Windows VPN as the PPTP user.

Fom what I understand, I should be experiencing the same access so I'm obviously doing somethig wrong. CAn anyone point me in the right direction to look?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2017 17:26 #2 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: 2860 SSL Tunnels newbie questions

cannot access any of the remote network resources

What kind of resources / protocols?
Do you have "use default gateway on remote network" enabled in the SmartVPN client - for me this enables access to most of what I need on my remote network.

Chris

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2017 17:49 #3 by gary.lane
Replied by gary.lane on topic Re: 2860 SSL Tunnels newbie questions
Yes I ticked that and now I know that I am using the 2860's internet access (what's my IP correctly reports the "office" external IP address). But I can't see other computers on the 2860's (office) LAN. I can't browse them or RDP into them or access printers etc. I can do all of that when I VPN using PPTP.

More
04 Jan 2017 19:34 #4 by chrisw
Hard to know what the differences may be, but I can can certainly see/open my network shares and also RDP to devices with LAN IP addresses over the SSL tunnel.

BTW one thing I do notice is that the daily VPN graph doesn't update/show activity until the day after (whereas the weekly graph seems to indicate up/down status correctly in real time).

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2017 19:46 #5 by gary.lane
Replied by gary.lane on topic Re: 2860 SSL Tunnels newbie questions
Hmm. So to be clear, you connect using SmartVPN client to the 2860 using a VPN SSL tunnel VPN account and can browse the VPN'ed network? What do you have enabled/set up in your SSL VPN user group?

I have just had a thought (though rare, they do come occasionally): my home subnet and my office subnet are the same 192.168.0.x I might try changing my home subnet to 192.168.1.x and see if that makes a difference. I can't see that it should given that there is no problem when I sue PPTP but worth a shot.

More
04 Jan 2017 20:03 #6 by chrisw

you connect using SmartVPN client to the 2860 using a VPN SSL tunnel VPN account

Yes - using a Win 10 [Home] tablet with SmartVPN client [v4.3.3.2] using SSL VPN (port 444, DHCP assigned IP/DNS) and mOTP

can browse the VPN'ed network

I can see/open shared folders on NAS and other Win10 devices

What do you have enabled/set up in your SSL VPN user group

Nothing - I'm only using a single VPN User Account

I might try changing my home subnet...

Admittedly when I tested again just now [Tablet -> Mob Phone Hotspot -> 2860 -> Home LAN] both ends were on different 192.168.x.x subnets, however a week ago I was running same subnets and certainly RDP was working but I can't vouch for network shares as I prefer to RDP into one device and use that as my hop off point into the network.