DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jul 2010 06:48 #1 by tivoli
Having just bought a new 2820Vn after owning a 2800vg for many years I'm disappointed with the wifi on this router.

When streaming video from my Slingbox to my laptop, the video stops every couple of minutes. Am connecting using 802.11n, but when I disable N and connect with 802.11g it works without interruption.

Using the latest firmware 3.3.4.
Please fix it Draytek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2010 18:23 #2 by vanaalten
Replied by vanaalten on topic 2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video
I've got similar experiences.
I often use PuTTY to run a command line interface to my server, and with 802.11n enabled, it is close to unworkable. It hangs for several seconds, then outputs everything I typed during the 'hang' at once.

It wasn't this bad with 3.3.3 - although I did notice video hanging every few minutes with that version as well.

My wireless card: Intel 5300AGN (laptop mini-PCi card)

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jul 2010 19:01 #3 by tivoli
Replied by tivoli on topic 2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video
My laptop driver is 5100AGN.

Another problem I have discovered; my Blackberry 9700 keeps losing WiFi connection, even on 802.11g.
Worked fine with Vigor 2800VG.

More
06 Jul 2010 11:28 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video
It's working for me with a 5300AGN and 3.3.4, I've only seen very occasional drops, no hanging and speeds are normal. I do have my wireless network set to WPA2 only though, since it doesn't seem to work as well with WEP/WPA (although 11n isn't meant to work at full speed with WEP/WPA).
I have a fairly simple network on the wireless side of things, only a few laptops and an iphone connecting at 11g, with one or two at 11n.

edit: I take it back, I'm having stuttering and speed issues now with 3.3.4, just needs more than one device on wifi...

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jul 2010 20:59 #5 by tivoli
Replied by tivoli on topic 2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video
Just bought a 5300agn card for my laptop hoping that I would see better results, but it still stutters on 11n.

I wonder if a different Wifi card like Gigabyte would be more compatible with this router? What brand of card is in the 2820vn anyway?

More
10 Jul 2010 18:57 #6 by thrain
Replied by thrain on topic 2820Vn WiFi stuttering when streaming video
What encryption are you using ?

Are you using a wireless bridge on the sling box, I never had much luck when I used a wireless bridge.

Moderators: Sami