DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn Cannot get N speeds

• turbomark
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2010 08:09 #1 by turbomark
2820Vn Cannot get N speeds was created by turbomark
I've been trying for a while now to get my MacBook Pro and my Windows 7 laptop (both N spec) to connect as N speeds. No matter what configuration (WPA2, Green Field, N only speed, WMM enables/disabled etc...) I cannot get above 144-150Mbps connection.

Please can someone advise on the correct settings or should I now be looking towards a dedicated AP for N speeds???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2010 08:42 #2 by pmouat
Replied by pmouat on topic 2820Vn Cannot get N speeds
It has to be set at WPA2/AES which I found out off intel's site which outlined the specs for wireless N. BUT I have found that whilst it will initially connect at around 300Mbps or 260MBps it will soon drop to around 150-160 I think it might be the protection built into the router when other devices in the are try and connect at slower speeds it knock the overall speed down. In my case I think its my PS3 or WII or mine and my wifes iPhone. If you haven't got any of the above it could even be your neighbours devices, even if they don't connect they will probably scan for wireless networks on startup so you router will drop the speed for compatibility. Your could try turning on the protection to Greenfield which I think stops all 54Mbps devices from even connecting.

More
25 Oct 2010 09:06 #3 by kc_
Replied by kc_ on topic 2820Vn Cannot get N speeds
I use an edimax n pcmcia adapter with 2820n and get 270mb

More
25 Oct 2010 10:51 #4 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820Vn Cannot get N speeds
It might be a limitation of the card or the OS, from what I've read and seen, OSX doesn't appear to do 300Mbps with 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless, which is what the Draytek router has.

Another thing to look at is the channel, it seems that channel 5 or above are needed to use the full 40mhz bandwidth.

I've seen good speeds with the wireless on mine with Windows, actual throughput of ~100Mbps when using the router's gigabit port :D

• turbomark
  • Topic Author
More
25 Oct 2010 13:59 #5 by turbomark
Replied by turbomark on topic 2820Vn Cannot get N speeds
Thanks guys, I will play around a bit more. I just wish you could build one SSID at G speeds and another at N speeds, like the AP700 allows you to do...

Does anyone know if the unit will support 5GHz in the future?

More
26 Oct 2010 11:25 #6 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic 2820Vn Cannot get N speeds
The 2820n couldn't, the wireless module is a 2.4Ghz one rather than 5ghz as well. Maybe Draytek are planning some 5GHz stuff? The 5ghz module mentioned for the AP800 hints that they might.

There's only one wireless radio in the unit which is why it can't do simultaneous G&N for separate SSIDs.