Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn

• trevdance
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2014 09:32 #1 by trevdance
Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn was created by trevdance
Hi,

Not sure what's wrong here unless it's just the Draytek router but I've just been upgraded to fibre and getting 40/10 hard wired to my router from my pc and through other devices connected via home plug.

My problem is when I connect a device via wireless connection to the Draytek my speed drops significantly on that device, although if I connect the same wireless device to a wireless point on the home plug system the speed is good.

My question is why when I connect a device to the Draytek via wireless my speed drops so much?

I have disabled QOS & all firewall settings.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikacom
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2014 18:30 #2 by mikacom
Replied by mikacom on topic Re: Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn
Have you tried setting the wireless to only use 802.11g and n. Also make sure the security is WPA2/AES only. These settings should ensure that the speed is optimised.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
10 May 2014 21:11 #3 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn
I understand via ethernet is fine ... but are you connected direct to the wifi of the 2830 or you have a second access point?(universal repeater or bridged)

• trevdance
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2014 09:32 #4 by trevdance
Replied by trevdance on topic Re: Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn

mikacom wrote: Have you tried setting the wireless to only use 802.11g and n. Also make sure the security is WPA2/AES only. These settings should ensure that the speed is optimised.

Yes the settings are n only and security is set at WPA2/AES only

• trevdance
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2014 09:35 #5 by trevdance
Replied by trevdance on topic Re: Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn

babis3g wrote: I understand via ethernet is fine ... but are you connected direct to the wifi of the 2830 or you have a second access point?(universal repeater or bridged)

That is correct.
When I connect direct to the 2830, my wifi speed is 25/10 but if I connect to 2nd access point (TP Link WPA 4220 kit) then my speed is 40/10. So it seems the down speed is seriously affected when I connect direct to the 2830.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
11 May 2014 16:22 #6 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Slow wireless speeds on 2830vn
How did you connect the second AP to the 2830? i have set it (tried & wired via Lan and via wifi) with an edimax access point plus a vigor ap 800 and i have not issues or did not notice any wifi drop speed of my 2830n running firmware 3.6.7

try change channel in the 2830 in the case are the same and the other ap has stronger signal and disturb the 2830.... see if any firmware update helps and also i think is important if you are not using one of the wan incoming ports disable it because it may stolen little CPU from the 2830