Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Very poor WiFi throughput - 2830n

• banjaxt
  • Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2014 18:51 #1 by banjaxt
Very poor WiFi throughput - 2830n was created by banjaxt
Hi there,

I've got a Vigor 2830n and while I can connect to it and browse the web, the throughput is way less than I'd hoped.

If I measure the speed when connected directly to our Virgin 'Superhub'™ gateway I get over 150MB down, but when I connect via WiFi I only get 22MB down.
Can anyone offer some tips on how to maximise the throughput as it seems I'm not even getting 20% of the bandwidth available to the gateway?

Cheers

Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2014 20:45 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Very poor WiFi throughput - 2830n
Hi there are some tips IF will help
disable wan 1 (not stolen cpu memory)
Wireless LAN >> General Setup set mode to n only & try an other channel
disable wps/wds
Wireless LAN >> Advanced Setting try some combination with short/long preamble & the guard and bandwidth 20 ...
check at Wireless LAN >> Bandwidth Management ... if there is a limit in the speed in any ssid

But in my opinion the 2830 out of the other draytek models (at least the Single Band i have) it does suffers from wifi ...
there few other threads in here having same issue with this model, if you can find them
I am right now with the 2830n and 1,5 meters away from the 2830n i am getting 48 db signal (like i am 10-15 meters away) ... where it should be 25 - 30 db

Sometimes it does up to 50+ but could not wait to catch it, so i just took the first screenshot

Hope draytek will look into it

• banjaxt
  • Topic Author
More
30 Oct 2014 21:30 #3 by banjaxt
Replied by banjaxt on topic Re: Very poor WiFi throughput - 2830n

babis3g wrote: Hi there are some tips IF will help
disable wan 1 (not stolen cpu memory)
Wireless LAN >> General Setup set mode to n only & try an other channel
disable wps/wds
Wireless LAN >> Advanced Setting try some combination with short/long preamble & the guard and bandwidth 20 ...
check at Wireless LAN >> Bandwidth Management ... if there is a limit in the speed in any ssid

Thanks for your advice - done all of the above. No SSID limits as it was factory default on most settings.
I also changed from WPA to WPA2, which apparently can carry higher throughput and the speed almost doubled to about 40MB via WiFi.
I'm less than 10ft away from the router so I figure there must be something else I can do to get a better throughput..?

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2014 21:41 #4 by babis3g
Try modem code 243601 or 243701 or STD (just use the *all* file extension) ... when i done test before it looks like they had better wifi signal, but i may be wrong & was just the current (at time) firmware
If any other user have some suggestion, welcome

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Oct 2014 21:50 #5 by babis3g
to add maybe an older/newer firmware may does make difference?
to find out if you have dual or single band here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band
and modem codes / firmwares from here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/

EDIT
If your firmware is old then just use the *rst* file (for a clean install) if you will update ... it may helps and by the way don't use any backup file but all manually from the begin

• banjaxt
  • Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2014 07:47 #6 by banjaxt
Replied by banjaxt on topic Re: Very poor WiFi throughput - 2830n

babis3g wrote: to add maybe an older/newer firmware may does make difference?
to find out if you have dual or single band here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-2830-dual-band
and modem codes / firmwares from here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/

EDIT
If your firmware is old then just use the *rst* file (for a clean install) if you will update ... it may helps and by the way don't use any backup file but all manually from the begin

Thanks again Babis!

http://imgur.com/74bkw1x

I downloaded (what I think is) the latest firmware and took the last 2 files shown, then chose the '252901' version using the 'all' file rather than 'rst' and upgraded.

Current Firmware Version: 3.6.7_sb_252901 - this put the throughput up to about 42MB

I also switched to greenfield mode which seemed to help a tiny bit and now I'm getting about 44MB down, so I'm getting there.

Do you know the max I could theoretically get after overheads?