Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Intra AP connectivity; Mesh Setup with 2862ac root and AP802 & AP903 nodes

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2020 15:56 #1 by ray jade
This is a follow from to https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23552 where I was trying to use my AP903 as a range extender. I’ve moved on and the current set up is:

2862ac firmware 3.9.4_BT connected to ISP by phone line (FTTC). Router is mostly in default configuration except:

• Separate SSID’s currently set up for 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi. Only SSID1 enabled on each band.
• SSID’s name and security changed
• Roaming enabled on both; default minimum RSSI settings
• Router is set as mesh root

AP903 firmware 1.3.6 set up as node. Default setting except syslog etc; settings from mesh sync.

AP802 firmware 1.3.3 set up as node. Default setting except syslog etc; settings from mesh sync. I’m aware of firmware 1.3.4 but haven’t tried it yet.

With reservations, the set up has settled down and I’m slowly refining it. The router had a couple of unexplained crashes but has been OK for the last couple of days.

The biggest issue I have open is either me being really dumb / missing something or a something odd from Draytek. Stations connected to an AP on one wifi band can’t see (IP4 ping) stations on the same AP on the other band. They can, however, see all other stations (router and other AP). It’s like the AP has set the wifi bands onto separate VLAN’s except that’s not a set on the router which does not show this behaviour. The AP903 also has devices attached to its LAN port – fully available.

In practical terms, my 5GHz PC on the 903 can’t see the adjacent 2.4GHz printer on the 903. As stations are inclined to attach to whatever band and AP they want (whatever I try!), this results in a ‘sometimes it works – sometimes it doesn’t’ experience for my vocal user base. I could force everything onto 2.4GHz, but then I could also rewire the house with cat 6 cable…

To define exactly what is happening, I’ve used two PC’s with fixed IP’s connecting to my choice of wifi using NetSetMan, then pinging between each other to get a table:

To confirm, the router’s VLAN is set to have SSID1 (2.4 & 5GHz bands) on LAN1. In all cases, the stations can ping the router and AP's and have internet access.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Jun 2020 21:04 #2 by hornbyp
For each band, there is an "Advanced Setting" option, which has an "Isolate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands" setting.

Is it that?

(There's also an option called "Isolate members with IP" - I've no idea what it does and the manual doesn't help)

More
26 Jun 2020 08:57 #3 by piste basher
On the AP903 there are two places where you need to look at isolation - in "General Setup" and in "Advanced Settings". In the latter "isolate the bands" is the default setting.

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2020 11:00 #4 by ray jade

hornbyp wrote:
For each band, there is an "Advanced Setting" option, which has an "Isolate 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands" setting.

Is it that?

Yes - it is - Thank you! What a daft default to bury in advanced settings with no explanation. Of course, it obvious if you know that it's there :x

I've tested and confirm that disabling removes the problem - stations / clients (the Draytek manuals aren't even consistent about that) on the same AP but using different SSID's in the same VLAN are then able to 'see' each other.

The AP903 manual notes - I think; the translation to English is awkward - that if using the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, then this switch is non-functional and 'isolate member' per SSID in General Settings is used instead.

Disabling in the 2.4 GHz section also disables in the 5 GHz section and vice versa. Finally (note to self :( ) only works after clicking on 'OK' at the bottom of the page. GUI then goes quiet for a bit but AP stays up (no reboot).

I really think the folks that decide on default settings, layout the GUI and write the user guides should be placed in darkened rooms and made to try and set this stuff from scratch. Maybe replace "Dad - its not working again" with some sort of cattle prod :twisted: . I maybe over-reacting...

For ease of reference:

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2020 11:02 #5 by ray jade

Piste Basher wrote:
On the AP903 there are two places where you need to look at isolation - in "General Setup" and in "Advanced Settings". In the latter "isolate the bands" is the default setting.

Thanks! I posted my last and then saw yours.

Good to know one is not totally alone with this stuff :-)

• ray jade
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Jun 2020 11:16 #6 by ray jade
Since I've succeeded in getting quick and accurate answers from the board gurus to what is obvious if you know, here's one I've looked for a solution to but...

Is there anyway to control the refresh of the router GUI dashboard? If I scroll down and try to look at eg connected 5GHz devices, the screen refreshes and jumps me back to the top. Really frustrating... I've tried different browsers and just can't see away... Probably a big button front and centre that says 'stop refresh'