DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Antenna advice?

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2020 06:44 #1 by ruraldev
Antenna advice? was created by ruraldev
I've been trying to get Mesh to work with no luck so far, as per https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23875

I'm considering adding antennas with a higher gain to both my 2862 and AP903, I wondered if anyone had used, successfully, ANT1207 or ANT2520 antennas to get more range on the 5Ghz band?

From what I read antennas should all be the same, I was wondering if that's correct as 4 X ANT2520 is going to be a but weird looking if they even fit!

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2020 09:23 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Antenna advice?
Antennas are certainly not all the same, but the usual way in which passive antennas provide "gain" is by being (more) directional. That may be an issue for you or it may not.....

But if you are still finding that the 2862 cannot discover the AP when they are only 1 metre apart then you do not have an antenna issue....

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2020 09:27 #3 by ruraldev
Replied by ruraldev on topic Re: Antenna advice?
Directional is fine as I'm just trying to get the router to connect with the AP903, my thinking, with little real knowledge is if the router had 1 directional antenna pointing at the AP903 and the AP903 had 1 pointing back then that should work, the other antennas would provide a wider range.

Does that make sense to someone who knows about the multi antenna set up?

I didn't mean all anetnnas were the same I meant that should all antennas on a device be the same type/model

More
28 Nov 2020 09:32 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Antenna advice?
As I say, if, as you posted before, it is still the case that you cannot set up the mesh with them only 1 metre apart then I don't think any fiddling with antennas will help.

• ruraldev
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2020 09:43 #5 by ruraldev
Replied by ruraldev on topic Re: Antenna advice?
Looks like I either try 2 directional antennas or add an extension cable to one on the AP903 and move it outside the garage and put it inside a plastic box

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
28 Nov 2020 11:04 #6 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Antenna advice?
As PisteBasher has already said , if the units can't see each other 1 metre apart then you have a problem that needs addressing before you do anything else.

No amount of messing with antennas will change that, you are wasting time, effort and money.

The routers are designed and certificated to run to optimal performance with the antennas supplied.