Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLANS over WDS Help.

• ninja365
  • Topic Author
More
08 Sep 2022 23:29 #1 by ninja365
VLANS over WDS Help. was created by ninja365
Hi all,

I have been running a WDS linked AP810 to my 2862ac using the 2.4GHz channel for my private home SSID. I would like to add a Guest SSID which i want to work on a VLAN tag 30 using a second LAN addressing. Its all set up fine on the 2862 with devices connecting to the Guest LAN receiving the correct IP range.

I've gone onto the AP810, added the second SSID, added the VLAN tag and made sure the Enable 2 Subnets is unticked. Back on the 2862 i have added SSID 2 to VLAN 0 (where the SSID 1 lives untagged) as that is the backhaul network to the AP. That should all then give devices connected to the AP810 on SSID 2 a different IP range to SSID 1 but its not. I've spent a couple of hours on this and can't figure out whats wrong. If i plug in a cable its all great abd works but wireless it doesn't. I've done this before and got it working and now want to recreate it at home and can't get the configuration right.

Help! :cry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2022 18:29 #2 by hornbyp

• ninja365
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2022 20:19 #3 by ninja365
Replied by ninja365 on topic Re: VLANS over WDS Help.
thanks for the response, i have looked at that those instructions but its for a wired setup. Have tried everything i can find or think of to get the VLAN settings right but still can't get clients connected to the guest network on the AP to receive the 2nd LAN addresses.

More
13 Sep 2022 01:57 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: VLANS over WDS Help.
Um...

Perhaps this isn't possible with WDS?

You need the 2862 to see traffic that is tagged with "30" ... which would happen if connected to an appropriate LAN port or local SSID. But when connecting to the AP810, although the Tag will be added there - the route into the 2862 is via WDS ... maybe this mechanism prevents the tag being seen and acted upon :?:

ISTR a setting on the AP802 and AP903 which says something like "support VLANs over Mesh". I've always assumed that Draytek's Mesh implementation is built on WDS, so maybe something needed to be added to give VLAN support? (I'm guessing :? )

More
13 Sep 2022 08:36 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: VLANS over WDS Help.
It's been quite a while now but before I deployed a mesh system I had several AP903s, one of which connected via WDS. I'm pretty sure that devices connecting to that one could pick up a Guest network IP address, and my IOT devices connected to another tagged VLAN as well. The only difference I can think of here is that the wireless AP903 connected via WDS to a wired AP903, not directly to the router. At one stage I tried using an old router (2925 or 2926 I think it was) as an AP in place of one of the wired AP903s, but I encountered problems with the WDS connection (sorry it's been a while and I can't recall much detail) which didn't occur when I used an AP903. As I've mentioned elsewhere, it looks as though the wifi in the routers is different to the wifi in the APs, but why it should behave like this I'm afraid I have no idea.

• ninja365
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2022 09:37 #6 by ninja365
Replied by ninja365 on topic Re: VLANS over WDS Help.
Thanks for your replies guys, The AP810 doesn't have 5GHz capability so therefore can't Mesh which leave me WDS over 2.4GHz. The config on the AP is for 2 SSID's, private untagged and then guest tagged with VLAN ID. I am wondering if the issue is with my VLAN settings on the main router setup? I have SSID 1 (which is also the back haul for WDS) untagged and SSID 2 tagged but have also added it to the untagged VLAN which should be acting as the trunk port?

Moderators: Sami