Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 Object Filter ...

• topcat888
  • Topic Author
More
01 Mar 2010 17:30 #1 by topcat888
2820 Object Filter ... was created by topcat888
Hi,

At present I use an object filter to allow remote desktop into our server from a remote workstation, the only problem is that the person is not able to get a static ip with the isp that they with, so I keep having to change the address in the object filter every time it dynamically changes...

My question is, is there any other way to filter access, for example by MAC address or another means..??

Many Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• topcat888
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2010 11:34 #2 by topcat888
Replied by topcat888 on topic 2820 Object Filter ...
bump...

Any Ideas..?

I have now set that person up on DDNS. What I would like to be able to do is specify the draytek 2820 to get the ip address from a DDNS account and filter based on the IP address it gets back..??

Is that possible..??

Thanks

More
09 May 2010 12:52 #3 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 Object Filter ...
Why not give the person VPN access, say as a PPTP teleworker? Then they automatically get an IP address on your LAN and you don't have to bother with filters.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6

• topcat888
  • Topic Author
More
09 May 2010 15:22 #4 by topcat888
Replied by topcat888 on topic 2820 Object Filter ...
Because I wanted lock out all others bar him... The company does not use external teleworker access and this is purely for remote server admin...

If there was a fixed IP address I would use that but there isn't, as I say its dynamic..?

Thanks

More
09 May 2010 17:39 #5 by njh
Replied by njh on topic 2820 Object Filter ...

topcat888 wrote: Because I wanted lock out all others bar him... The company does not use external teleworker access and this is purely for remote server admin...

If no one else knew the user name and password for the teleworker access then only your one person would get access. I don't see an issue there.

I am not sure there is any way of using a FQDN in the filters in any firewall I have come across. It would mean that for every external connection attempt the router would need to do a DNS lookup in case the the FQDN's IP had changed.

2900Gi/v2.5.6; 2900/v2.5.6