• lane4
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Mar 2010 15:16 #1 by lane4
3300v Locking up was created by lane4
Hi,

This weekend we upgraded our internet connection at work, moving from 8Mb ADSL to an 8Mb 'leased line' (Surestream from easynet). Previously our trusty Draytek hadn't had a reboot in months but since the new line was plugged in it's randomly locking up every 2-10 hours, and I have to manually cycle the power (not good at 9pm!).

I spoke to a Draytek techie on their premium support line, when he logged in remotely he couldn't see anything out of the ordinary but suggesed turning of the DoS service to see if that helped, alas two hours later it locked up again. The syslog service is not showing me anything, has anyone else had this problem?

Looking at using a timer switch as an interim measure, but will need to get a working firewall if this cant be fixed.

Environment is SBS 2003 (no ISA) network running SBS vpn, Rpc, owa, ActiveSync services

-L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lane4
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 09:56 #2 by lane4
Replied by lane4 on topic 3300v Locking up
As a workaround for incase it locks up at night I'm using a timer switch that turns it off for one minute every two hours, which was very practical, if inelegant, tip I found when searching this problem.

Anyway, I ran the syslog service which recorded some strange vpn connection logging events and 'emergency' Kernel errors at the time of last lockup and sent this to Draytek support and called them again. They remoted into the 3300v and we turned off the VPN-PPTP service, as they suspected this might be conflicting with the SBS VPN serice. No lockups yet, going to leave it running today without rebooting and see what happens. Will post findings.

• lane4
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
03 Mar 2010 16:37 #3 by lane4
ok, it's locked up 4 times in the last 2 hours...

More
15 Mar 2010 16:24 #4 by lazarix
Replied by lazarix on topic 3300v Locking up
I am also suffering from a lock up problem on a 3300V...
I have 4x WAN connections connecting via PPTP and it locks up intermittantly. Again, there doesn't appear to be a cause for it. Unit purchased at beginning of march and has latest firmware already applied.

• lane4
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Mar 2010 16:57 #5 by lane4
Hi Lazarix,

Sorry to hear about your lockup problem. I tried everything to get it working properly for the last 2 weeks, but the most i got was 10 hours uptime before it lockedup.

I called the premium support line and they sent me beta firmware and logged into the unit remotely - they found nothing wrong. I logged a ticket with UK support and sent them the log files (which gave no clue/pattern as to why this was locking up). Their R&D team sent me another firmware...that didnt work either. The 3300v just locks up on the new 8MB leased line.

On Friday I gave up and installed a Vigor 2955 (Since we have gone down to just 2 lines now and dont need 4 WAN ports) and it's been fine for the last 74 hours. I hate giving into problems but my remote users/offices patience had run out. A shame, since we had installed the 3300v nearly 3 years ago and never had a problem with it. Hopefully the 2955 will last as long. (btw - found the guys at BusinessRouters very helpful, they couldn't fix the problem but did get the 2955 out to me within 24hours!)

More
22 Apr 2010 18:40 #6 by v1gt0r
Replied by v1gt0r on topic 3300v lock up / freezes
We have a 3300v that locks up. Tried everything to to try and fix. Having read the various threads on this subject I think I am going to throw this and get something more robust and reliable (and probably more expensive). But I guess this is a case of you get what you pay for!