DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n WAN1 dropping

More
19 Oct 2011 12:55 #1 by nutts
2820n WAN1 dropping was created by nutts
I've been using the 2820n for about 2.5 years without a single problem. I have 2 ADSL max lines and have a used a variety of modems on WAN2 without problem. I haven't changed a setting or upgraded the firmware on the 2820n for possibly 6 months+.

About 1 month ago, WAN1 started to drop (on ethernet, not wifi). Sometimes it would drop every few minutes for hours on end and sometimes it would be stable for a few hours and then start to drop constantly. If I swap the ADSL lines over, WAN2 is still totally stable and WAN1 still drops.

I sent the touter back to Draytek for repair and they tested it, couldn't find a problem, but changed out the main board anyway. Whilst it was away for repair, I ran 2 separate modems and both were stable.

On receiving the 2820n back, WAN1 is still dropping and on swapping the lines over, WAN1 still drops.

I haven't a clue what the problem could be. All the basic connection setting on WAN1 look perfectly normal

Protocol = PPPoA
Multi-PVC channel = Channel 1
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
Encapsulating Type = VC MUX or LLC/SNAP (the problem occurs with either)
Modulation = G.DMT
MTU = 1442
Idle Timeout = -1
PPP Authentication = PAP or CHAP

ADSL Information ( ADSL Firmware Version: 232201_A)
ATM Statistics

TX Cells 41118
RX Cells 1939118
TX CRC errs 5
RX CRC errs 1

ADSL Status G.DMT
Mode State SHOWTIME
Up Speed 448000
Down Speed 7616000
SNR Margin 15
Loop Att. 5

I have tried a few older, newer and alternate firmwares and still WAN1 drops.

Help!

Thanks
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 17:27 #2 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820n WAN1 dropping
Has something changed at the Exchange? If you set WAN1 to Multimode, does it Sync on ADSL2 (or something different to the G.DMT which appears to be deliberately specified) ? A different Modem Code may be better suited to your Line. Out of interest, who is the ISP, please?

More
20 Oct 2011 17:58 #3 by nutts
Replied by nutts on topic Re: 2820n WAN1 dropping
Thanks for the reply Neal.

No joy on Multimode.

The 2 lines are from Plusnet & the Postoffice.

But to reiterate, whichever line is on WAN1 it fails. I.e it's WAN1 that appears to have a problem, not either of the ADSL lines.

:)

More
08 Apr 2012 09:52 #4 by barrywilkinson
Replied by barrywilkinson on topic Re: 2820n WAN1 dropping
Did you ever solve this issue? My 2820 has started to drop wan1. It's getting annoying having to regularly re-boot the router.

More
08 Apr 2012 10:07 #5 by nutts
Replied by nutts on topic Re: 2820n WAN1 dropping
It was never resolved. I was a big fan of Draytek kit until this point. I tried every single firmware, but nothing resolved it. I was told that it was most likely the exchange, but as I kept repeating, I didn't have the problem on some crappy cheap modem/routers. In the end I simply chucked the 2820n in the bin and sacrificed functionality for stability.

I'd love to come back to Draytek, but I'm not going to spend that much cash on something that might/not work, when I have a stable system now.

Moderators: Sami