Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP 800 Installation on 5 floors

• tech1302
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2014 09:20 #1 by tech1302
AP 800 Installation on 5 floors was created by tech1302
Hi All

I have installed 5 AP 800 access points on a flat with 5 floors.
I am getting about 17Mb if i`m directly connected to the router without no access points turned on.
All 5 AP`s got same SSID`s and the passwords as the router.
When i`m connected to the AP on the basement where the router and 1st AP is speed is not too bad.
when i go to the 1st floor speed is about 11Mb 2nd floor its about 9Mb and the top floor is getting about 5Mb speed.
sometimes even when i`m on the top floor my computer is connected to the access point on the 1st or 2nd floors AP`s.
basement AP + Router- CH1
ground floor - CH6
1st floor - CH11
2nd Floor - CH1
3rd Floor - CH11

are there any suggestions to improve this wireless network please.
thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
30 Apr 2014 14:05 #2 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: AP 800 Installation on 5 floors
Personal i think is normal
each access point it halves the speed by quarter of the original modem is giving the wifi
I don't think is a draytek issue but is general rule with every access point

• tech1302
  • Topic Author
More
02 May 2014 09:05 #3 by tech1302
Replied by tech1302 on topic Re: AP 800 Installation on 5 floors
thanks for the info.
what do you think about the channel selection
when i`m on the top floor the device should pick up signals from the AP on the top floor isn't it.
do i need to change anything regards to the channel

• babis3g
  • User
  • User
More
02 May 2014 11:18 #4 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: AP 800 Installation on 5 floors
i am not sure, that is depending ... some mentioned need to change different channels to avoid overlapping between * also for roaming issues AP's but then some AP did not allow you to change the channels (perhaps is depending how is been set up between them) ...

i have not much experience with so many AP's ... i am using a vigor AP 800 & an edimax for longer range & if i change channels will overlap so i keep the same channels ... there is a program called inSSIDer a free version, this will show you if there is an overlap so if there is then yes can change the channels ...

as for the signal the AP's should get signal from the AP you have set it ...

for the users (customers) picking up the nearest signal, that is depending to the channels ... in most cases must be different 1,6,11 etc (not same channels) because most devices are "lazy" to change channels if the range of the AP's are in the same range, so that means if they was down stairs and move upper floor their device may stay connected to the AP downstairs until the signal lost completely & in the mean time their internet may suffer due to low signal ...

but also is depending and from the user/customer roaming aggressive settings of their wifi card device ... most newer wifi networks cards in laptop has settings for aggressive such low,medium,high,very high but by default is been set to medium for most laptops

So in general they believe is better to have different channels set ... but i would suggest to Get the inSSIDer program (try a google search) so will tell you if needs to set other channels for not overlapping and cost interface between them